My 93 has no 4th. It makes a grinding noise if I try to force it in. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 93 has no 4th. It makes a grinding noise if I try to force it in.

Rainier

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer XLT
I have a 1993 with m5r1, or m5od-r1, 4th won't work. I grabbed one untested for $50 from a junk yard.

Can I shift it out of the truck somehow to see if it will go into all the gears? What should I be looking for without completely removing all the bearings and gears, etc?

I basically want to be able to partially test the junkyard one before I throw it into the explorer.

5UXbiVr.jpg

the front synchro is fourth shift the collar forward to see if it engages if it does and won't shift in with the top on it is probably in the shifting mechanism
roscoe

Well, I ended up buying one on ebay. $520 shipped. Got a few other things I need to get taken care of on it. It was putting out a ton of heat in the engine bay, yet my temp gage wasn't going up, and cooling appears to be working. I figure maybe transmission drag, since other transmission and clutch were failing. Also, my brakes aren't working right and I think the pads where dragging on the rotors.

So, new bearings, and wheel assemblies for front end, new shocks, and brakes, brake booster, and this transmission, and hopefully I can drive it around good.

Back