EXPLORER RUN!! | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

EXPLORER RUN!!

If you've checked the weather in Blanding lately you know that it will be mid-high 70°s on Sat and Sun for the run. In the canyon country that ambient temp can mean over 80°s reflected in the canyons. I wouldn't rule out sticking some shorts and short sleeves in the clothes you pack. Actually hope for a little mid-day breeze.

Should we have a contest to see who has the pastiest untanned legs? Sure beats a modeling contest for the best rain gear!

Night temps will go down into the 30°s, so bring a warm jacket too.

[This message has been edited by j (edited 04-14-99).]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Heading out now from Tacoma (approx. 9:30 a.m. PST Wednesday). I'll see you at the Old Tymer's Restaurant on Friday at 7:00 p.m.

I'm at an unfair advantage in the "pasty-leg" competition - - We had 93 consecutive days of rain here in the Pacific Northwest! I'll have to make up for it while I spend a day at Moab enroute.
See you on Friday.

Well so much for leaving early today. I just got my truck back from the tranny shop at 3 o'clock this afternoon. I will be hitting the road in about an hour(6pm Mountain). I will probably only go as far as Shelby Montana tonight. That will make for an interesting and long day tomorrow. See ya there!

------------------
Paul Gagnon
Dead Link Removed

Back in PHX safe and sound. It was great to meet everyone this weekend, Trace, Paul G. Paul S. and Jack it's always great to go wheelin' with you.

We had 5 Explorers from 4 states and Canada. Paul Gagnon and Paul Sabin both drove over 1300 miles to make the trip.

Stay tuned!

Lots of photos coming soon!

------------------
Rick Horwitz
explorer@4x4central.com
Editor
www.4x4central.com

Rick- Good to hear you made it home safe, hope Jack, Joe, Paul S. and Paul G. do likewise. I just wanted to tell each of you thanks again for making this such a great run. Jack's insight to the culture and enviroment surrounding the Anasazi was an added bonus. Hope to see each one of you at later runs. I can hardly wait to relive the trip through photos. Already looking forward to October.

Drove straight through arriving Tacoma about 0230 this morning - - Ragged out but still pumped from a great weekend!! I kept awake by planning all the "New and Improved" modifications I'll be making (but told my wife it was just the thought of seeing her that kept me going)!
Think Paul G. did okay. Follwed him to Moab and the Ford guy said he just needed to slam it in Reverse while moving to get the 2nd gear to engage... I went to McDeath's for a McMuffin and by the time I got back to the Ford shop he was gone. Never saw him enroute so I think the "Bigger Hammer" technique of transmission repair was effective.
Gotta go - Need to call James Duff, Con-Fer, and the local steel shop...
Jack, Rick, guys - Thanks for the great weekend - Hope to see you on the next run.

I'm back too and buried in work and Joe is on his Goldwing flying for Austin (looking to buy a '94 Sport for a builder?).

Runs are best because of the participants... I enjoyed meeting Trace, Dave, Paul & Paul and getting to run with Rick yet again.

Hotel Rock was quite an ancient place and Arch Canyon, with its arches, creek, cliff dwellings, lion tracks, hiking, etc., absolutely ethereal. With only a small ding in Maj's rocker panel minimized by "trail trained physicists" and Paul's slightly banged diff housing, we all survived with a little new Utah pinstriping. A couple of the rigs (Trace and Paul's) proved that it's the driver not the lockers (OK, well almost every time) that's the most important. I think looking at each others rigs has got us hungry to see how much more we can deplete the family bank account!

I especially want to thank Rick for all his help pulling this one off and the use of his fantastic web site to do so, Joe for his great spotter skill's, Paul for showing us what real trannies can do with only one gear, Trace for defying gravity without any lockers or limited slips at all, Maj for teaching me how to make a thermonuclear warhead out of an empty plastic bottle of lemonade, Mary for the comfy rooms at a great price, the BLM's help getting this together and trust in us to leave it as we found it taking only pictures with us, and all the fine people in Blanding who fed us and showed us a great time. We'll be back...

Finally, these runs are more fun than humans should be allowed to have. Any of you who didn't get the chance to go on this one, we are already looking forward to August in Southern California and an October run in the mining ruins of Colorado Rockies when the aspen trees decide to light up the autumn sky. In short, let's do this again.

I drove straight through and arrived home at 4 am. Slept lots this morning. Actually I did pull over for a little nap somewhere in Idaho(popped a couple of wake-ups too). I thought that Paul S. had headed out so I drove fast to try and catch up, I was probably ahead of him! I gassed up in Tremonton, Utah, (590km on a tank of gas), Junction of I-15 and I-84 but did not see Paul there(around 2 o'clock). The run sure was a great time. We just had to be careful not to run over the endangered animal eating the endangered plant while dragging it across the endangered dirt. Dead Link Removed I guess it is back to work tomorrow. Dead Link Removed

------------------
Paul Gagnon
Dead Link Removed

It sort of worked. The Ford dealer in Moab was able to unstick the governor a little bit by putting it in reverse for about 2 seconds while driving forward. It is a little scary to think about, but in an emergency you try it anyway. I could get into 2nd on a light throttle upshift in Drive but could not kick down into it at any speed. Manually it would not go into 2 either. It was enough to be able to get home without revving to the sky in 1st. The tranny is still under warranty from the shop that rebuilt it, so no worries as far as that goes.

------------------
Paul Gagnon
Dead Link Removed

Hey that Colorado run that J mentioned is one that I will be going on! Dead Link Removed I can only come for a weekend but I will be there! If anyone would like some help on that I may be able to help some seeing how I live in Littleton, CO. (No I did not know anyone in the shootings thank goodness) Anyways any help for Colorado that I could do please let me know.

------------------
Ryan Penner
1992 Explorer Sport

Thanks, Ryan. I will be looking into scheduling a run in CO for "colors" so probably the first or second weekend in October.

I will be running some trails in Salida/Buena vista are in late June with a Jeep club. Probably Tin Cup and Hancock Passes, depending on snow load. Think these would be nice since St. Elmo and Tincup are pretty well-preserved mining towns and would be great for most folks, plus the area has more 14ners than any other place in CO, the hot springs, and good inexpensive facilities. Salida or BV may be a bit easier for folks to get to than Silverton. I also like the Creede/Lake City trails but quite an extra drive and am thinking about Scofield Pass, but access through Crusty Butts makes it also bit of a drive for others and the Vail side is a bit pricey. At Crusty Butts we could do both Scofield and the loop around back to Crusty, then add Ruby Mountain which is great and ends with an incredible hike to a cirque lake above treeline. In my free time, which isn't much for a few days, I'll be review my CO maps and all those Pass books.

Rick...maybe it's time to start a CO run section and put this message on it also? I'll start getting dates and places together right away.

Here is an interesting little tidbit. According to Jeep Jamboree USA Dead Link Removed , the Hotel Rock trail is rated at 8-9 on a scale of 10. And that is for Jeeps! This is actually the hardest rated of all the Jeep Jamboree USA sheduled runs other than the Rubicon Trail. I think we were wise to turn around when we did. The Jeep Jamboree trail rating does not go into great detail, but according to a book I have, a trail rating of 8 is:

"Very dangerous and difficult. The odds are against completing a trip like this, and wise four wheelers will know when to call it a day. This is no place for a novice, and the team should be relatively small since the going will be slow. Most truck will suffer some damage, and sometimes the sort of damage that requires a mechanic. Carry tools,parts, survival gear. Don't expect to be at work on Monday morning"
This is from The Four Wheeler's Companion, The Off-Road Guide to Southwestern B.C. by Mark Bostwick.

Based on the broken parts we found and the trail that we saw I would tend to agree with this description. Especially with Explorers.

------------------
Paul Gagnon
Dead Link Removed

[This message has been edited by Paul Gagnon (edited 05-09-99).]

[This message has been edited by Paul Gagnon (edited 05-09-99).]

Back