• Register Today It's free!

Explorer V8 Transmission Service

rah11h

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Explorer
Replacing my radiator for the second time in my 2006 Explorer V8. Since the transmission lines are off, going to service the transmission (6R60) as well. Going to drop the pan and replace the filter. Is there any thing wrong with using Amsoil fluid? Or should I use Meron LV? How many quarts should I buy. Last time both were done at dealership.:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mercon SP only in my opinion. LV is for 6r80's.

Get 9 quarts at least.

Just adding my reference point: I had my transmission pan dropped and fluid changed couple years and 12K miles back at Ford dealer. They did add Mercon LV to my transmission and in my experience the transmission works now better than it ever did with Mercon SP.

That's very interesting. I do not believe LV would cause any harm since 6r60 and 6r80 are very similar. I wonder why Ford would recommend SP if LV has better characteristics ? Maybe they are overstock of those :)

Get 9 quarts at least.

Yup, I refilled my transmission over the weekend and used every bit of 9.5 quarts. Have to recheck the level again to see if it's all good, felt like it took forever to fill though!!

Watch out for the catalytic converter when filling/checking, gets HOT!!

Back