F150/Expedition Hubs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

F150/Expedition Hubs

I am looking to get F150/Expedition 5 on 135mm wheels onto my Mountaineer and Ranger. Has anyone out there been able to or at leadt tried to put F150/Expedition hubs on their SLA Explorer (95+) or Ranger (98+) front knuckles?

I have done some quick measurements at the salvage yard and found the three bolt pattern for the hubs is close, just wondered if this has been done.

If not, I will let you know in several weeks, when I get a hub and start to "play around"

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No I have not but i am looking at the same idea keep us posted.

as far as i know, the ranger/explorer is a 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern... and an expedition/f150 is a 5 on 5.5" pattern... the 2 are not compatible....

The Ranger/Explorer is still a 5 on 4.5 but the newer F-Series, Expeditions, and Superdutys all use metric patterns.

Personally I think its WAY more work than its worth.

I think we need to look into changeing the diff. its a 8.8 and hub&bearing

4.5" does not equal 135 mm

and to try it would not allow the lugs to properly seat and may lead to a wheel flying off.... personally i wouldnt try it......

there has been a great deal of discussion about whether lightning wheels will work or not. May want to do a search on that. Basically, I don't see why? A few differences... as others have mentioned, bolt pattern is 5x135mm, and the wheels for the f-150's are hubcentric not lugcentric, so they don't use lug nuts to center the wheel like explorers wheels do, they use the hub.

I am looking to change the actual HUB on the knuckle from the Ranger to the F150. The hub is bolted t othe knuckle with three bolts. THis hub assembly has the bearings, spindle, and ABS exciter.

If this could be accomplished, we could use F-150 / Expedition Wheels and more importantly Brakes!

I will let you know when I get time to trial this.

tmsoko, if you want some f-150 rotors and pads and so forth I may have some available before too long, not sure about the hub assembly though... I'm replacing my brakes with Stillen's at some point... I'll have front and rear rotors and pads available. There in fairly good shape I just want better :).

Thanks, but I am going to try to find a complete setup (hubs, knickles, arms, calipers, disks, pads) from a salvage yard. I will let you know if I need spares for the wear parts.

Back