fabricating my own shackles | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

fabricating my own shackles

I'm just going to add a little input here. The reason for limiting the length of the shackle is not the strength of the shackle itself, but the strength of the frame and also the handling. When you make the shackle longer the lateral forces on the spring from turning or offroading will be translated to the spring end of the shackle, and the shackle will create a torque on the frame mount, which increases with length, no matter how stong the shackle is.

Second the shackle adds a slight side to side freedom of the spring, which will also increase with length and cause slightly ill handling in the rear end. This is a bigger deal on a front shackled vehicle like a Jeep.

Finally I think an extended shackle sticks out like a sore thumb, especially with body lift, not to mention 3" body lift. Its going to look cheesy I think.

Oh yeah, departure angle too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

uhhh tell me if i sound stupid, cause i heard this on TRUCKS!TV(old taped episode) that extended shackles will f up your pinion angle and cause vibration...is this true??

Oh yeah, that too. Warriors have been run by many (including me) with no problems though.

If I remember my terms correctly, they actually increases the Pinion angle.. not by much, but if you already have too much, then it will make it worse....
It will tip the pinion "up"... which can acutally be good

If you lift the truck your pinion angle angle (in relation to the ground) normally stays the same. Since your Transfer case also stayed the same, you now may have too much drive line angle for the u-joints.

If you add the shackes, that will tip the nose of the pinion up, you will cut down on the driveline angle... so... I don't think the shackles will induce vibration like a normaly suspension lift does.

~Mark

and they will definitely reduce your depatrure angle like robb said. i have some autozone shackles that are a little longer than the warriors. i got just about 2 inches of lift out of them. they bottom out all the time on rougher trails. the stock shackles rarely ever bottomed out. and as far as the spacers goes, make sure you order the ones WITHOUT the sway bar mounts. i accidentaly bought the ones with sway bar mounts, and at full articulation, they came in contact with my front shocks, and put 1/2 inch dents in them, rendering the shocks pretty much destroyed.

You can always do this to help with the issue of departure angle.. It works for me.

shackle-roller.jpg

~Mark

Mark, what is that wheel from??

THERE INSTALLED

i ended up making my shackles a inch and a quarter longer then warriors. They are PLENTY strong. I wouldnt doubt it if they were stronger then the warriors. Well anyway i just finished maybe an hour ago and i am WAY PLEASED. I took the explo out on a trail behind my house and never bottemed out once, even though im runnin 32 by 11.5s. Dont worry am putting a 3 inch body on still and most likely adding a leaf... thanks everyone

Got pics?

I picked them up from a local Ace Hardware Store.. They are steel with rubber tire..

They aren't strong enough to hold the weight of the truck without bending, but even bent up, they still roll when I hit them.

I have a new set I made form 4" rolled steel. I'm trying to find bearing or bushings with center hole for a 14mm bolt. I'm still running a 1/2" (13mm) since I have one of the early Warrior shackles that was drilled for 13mm instead of 14mm.

They do work well... I've actually gotten out of the truck once when I was sitting on the shackles.. When I got back in, I just put the truck in gear and it just rolled off. If I didn't have the wheels I may have gotten stuck since my rear tires were off the ground (barely)

~Mark

Back