• Register Today It's free!

"Factory" Electric Fan?

Falcon_LS

Reaction score
City, State
Kuwait
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I have a '99 Eddie Bauer with the 4.0L SOHC/5R55E and a 3.73 limited slip "D4" axle. She's got 77,000 original miles, and been in my possession since 2015. Even had the pleasure of replacing the factory spark plugs, and pulling the intake manifold off for the first time to replace the leaking intake gaskets.

The thermostat is stuck open and given her age, I ended up getting the SimmonsAutosportz SA-3 thermostat housing with Motorcraft push-in style temperature sensor and switch, along with all-new bolts. Since the plastic radiator fan also has a minor crack at the base, I decided to hold off the thermostat replacement and buy all the parts needed to revamp the entire cooling system, minus the heater core and radiator - until a minor crack appeared on the passenger side plastic tank.

Now I have all-new OE parts, including bolts/clamps, and a Nissens 62060 radiator, since the OE unit is discontinued. The only thing missing is the radiator fan and clutch setup, which I've been doing quite a bit of research into.

The truck is an export vehicle, and as such, has a couple of extras. I was looking at this thread about an auxiliary condenser fan for instance, which can be see on the lower right of the Ford logo behind the grille:

PSX-20200613-211916.jpg

I was doing a bit of research to see if it was possible/worthwhile to install a 5.0L V8 fan and clutch, but I wasn't able to find a definite answer. I decided to go with what's on there, and as I was browsing through the Mazda B4000 parts catalog to locate the fan blade to clutch bolts (Ford catalog didn't have them), I noticed something. The Mazda fan shroud (Ford 5L5Z-8C607-A/Motorcraft RF-214) has a built in fan; much like the old aero style Crown Victoria/Grand Marquis, which had an electric fan in front of the clutched fan:

1591738382-15668260-4.jpg

1591738382-15668260-1.jpg

1591738382-15668260-3.jpg

1591738382-15668260-2.jpg

1591738382-15668260-5.jpg

The connector is exactly the same as the auxiliary fan that sits in front of the condenser. The Ranger/B4000 radiator appears to be the same as well; although they have different part numbers. Comparing radiator dimensions on Nissens' website, the measurements are on the money though, even though the part numbers are different. While it looks like it's a direct bolt on, with no clearance issues, I don't want to ship one half way across the world to find out it doesn't fit.

That said, I was wondering if anyone here happened to install one. A search came up with many different fans, but not this particular fan. If it does bolt on, all I'd have to do is make a harness that plugs into the factory connector and extends it to plug into this fan. That way, I keep everything original. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@Falcon_LS

That's one well-taken care of '99 Eddie Bauer edition - when you have a moment, post some more pics for us - we rarely see export models, let alone ones that made it to Kuwait!

OK - You're post is well written and covers all the bases, and thus a pleasure to read.

BUT - more than likely, none of us in the US & Canada are familiar with the export package, let alone modifying the export package ;)

With that said, the cooling systems on Ex's are excellent, and when maintained (such as you have done to your Ex) will keep your Ex cool even in a desert environment.

The safest best, since you don't want to have to return something half-way 'round the world, is to purchase the stock fan clutch and fan from Rock Auto.

If you cannot find a Motorcraft fan clutch, be advised that HAYDEN Brand is the OEM Manufacturer of that product for FORD.

If your stock radiator fan is cracked, like many are, it is a wise decision to replace that part as well, at the same time you're replacing the fan clutch.

OK - with that said, here's a 5% Off Discount Code for Rock Auto:

5% Discount Code: 8668C87B7A04DF

Expires: July 17, 2020

Enter this code in the ‘How Did You Hear About Us’ box to receive the discount.
Enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers.

Hope that helps!

Fast_dave,

Thank you for the response! A quick update to my previous post; I have done a bit of research and although the radiators have similar dimensions, core thickness is different – 26 mm (1.02”) on the Ranger/B4000 radiator vs. 55 mm (2.16”) on the Explorer radiator. Hence, the fan will not “clip on” the Explorer radiator the same way it does on the Ranger/B4000. I will be sticking with the stock setup instead, and replacing the plastic fan and clutch.

Good to know the OE fan is made by Hayden, thank you for that information! That said, is the one they make for Motorcaft a different design? Comparing the Hayden 2494 to the Motorcraft YB-3047, it seems a bit different.

I’ll need to look at the HVBoM to detail all the differences on export models, but two things in particular stand out:
  • Up until the early 2000s, leaded gas was common in the region. As a result, Middle East exports were made to run on leaded gas. This means there are no oxygen sensors or catalytic converters. The air/fuel ratio was fixed and resonators were installed in place of catalytic converters.

I’m not well versed on SUVs of the time, but on Crown Victorias, which I’m extremely well versed on, the EGR system was disabled in the PCM; despite the hardware being physically intalled. Given the EGR tube that runs into the intake manifold, behind the throttle body, is almost squeaky clean, I reckon it’s safe to make the assumption that the Explorers are configured the same way.

• The cooling systems were beefed up. On mine, there is a stacked ATF cooler in front of the AC condenser on the passenger side, in addition to the cooler built into the radiator. I have not seen that on any domestic vehicles. At one point, these Explorers were pretty popular in SoCal, and I had an eye out to see if I noticed a similar setup; never saw one. I’ve never seen the auxiliary AC condenser fan I previously mentioned either.

I’m not aware of any Explorers of this era built for police/fleet duty, but export versions of the Crown Vics featured all the heavy duty components standard on the Police Interceptor; engine oil cooler, ATF cooler, PSF cooler, heavy duty fixed ratio steering all the way to H-pipe dual exhaust and a 130 amp alternator. I do know that I have a 130 amp alternator on the Explorer, but I don’t know if this is any different on domestic models.
Thank you for the discount code! I have been a RockAuto customer for 13 years or so now, they’ve been my go-to for a lot of stuff.

Attaching some pictures of my truck; she's not perfect and requires some minor stuff to be done, but she's in great shape for the most part.

In addition to regular oil changes, things I have done since purchase include:

• Replace cruise control cable (Campaign #: 03S03)
  • Side airbag overlay wiring harness (Ford XL2Z-14B455-AA) to address DTC B1998
  • Replace driver’s seat upper bolt and washer (Campaign #: 03S04)
  • Motorcraft plugs ignition coil and wires to replace the aging factory units
  • Intake manifold gaskets and a set of flow-matched Bosch OE fuel injectors
  • Motorcraft PCV valve and emission separator hose
  • Motorcraft idler/tensioner pulleys and Goodyear/Continenal Gatorback belt
  • Transmission pan drop, filter change and multiple fluid changes with Motorcraft Mercon V (including a drain plug on the pan)
  • Front/rear differential fluid (Motorcraft 75W-140)
  • Transfer case fluid (Motorcraft Mercon V)
  • Motorcraft air and fuel filters
  • TRW sealed ball joints and Motorcraft stabilizer bar bushings
  • Continental CrossContact LX (255/70R16 111T) tires
  • Coolant flush with Motorcraft Premium Gold
  • SKF front wheel bearings
  • EBC 3GD dimpled/slotted rotors with EBC Ultimax2 pads, Motorcraft parking brake shoes and all-new brake hoses
  • ATE DOT 4 brake fluid
  • Motorcraft blower motor
Now I have the cooling system to sort, and yes, I do have new cruise control switches for the steering wheel. :)

Attachments

• PSX_20200615_011245.jpg
    PSX_20200615_011245.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 125
  • PSX_20200615_011323.jpg
    PSX_20200615_011323.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 105
  • PSX_20200615_011418.jpg
    PSX_20200615_011418.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 120
  • PSX_20200615_011451.jpg
    PSX_20200615_011451.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 87
  • PSX_20200615_011516.jpg
    PSX_20200615_011516.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 104
  • PSX_20200615_011549.jpg
    PSX_20200615_011549.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 101
  • PSX_20200615_014040.jpg
    PSX_20200615_014040.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 105
  • PSX_20200615_014114.jpg
    PSX_20200615_014114.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 128

VERY cool! Clean trucklet!

Factory transmission coolers like the one visible on your Explorer are very common. The condenser fan, however—very rare.

Transmission coolers are part of the tow package. If your Explorer has a OEM tow package, it has a cooler.

Thank you very much for the information on the transmission cooler!

Second Generation Explorers are like needles in a haystack here, unlike 2002 and newer models. It's very difficult to find one to compare to, much less an Eddie Bauer, as that trim level was never imported to Kuwait; only XLT models were. My truck was originally destined for Muscat, Oman, where the original owner bought it.

I have the original window sticker, which doesn't seem to come out clear no matter what. But VCIS/HVBOM lists the following:

AAAAMEDDIE BAUER (R)
AACTCEDDIE BAUER VERSION PACK
AAGANLOUISVILLE PLANT BUILT
ABIABWITH ELECTRONIC GROUP
ABKABPOWER EQUIPMENT GROUP
AC0E0ATC/HIGH OUTPUT AC
BDCABWITH LOAD AREA COVER
BLYABROOF RACK INCLUDING CROSSBARS
BMLAELOWER B/S MLDG
BSBAFELECTROCHROMIC INSIDE MIRROR
BYBAB2ND ROW BENCH SEAT - 2 PASSENGER
BYCABTHIRD ROW BENCH SEAT
BYPACPOWER 6-WAY DRIVER SEAT ADJUST
BYQAFWITH PASS 4 WAY POWER SEAT ADJUSTER
B5VABOVERHEAD CONSOLE
B5WAGCONSOLE-FLR-FULL UNIQUE
CHAACPOWER SLIDE SUN ROOF
CLVABFRT LICENSE PLATE BRKT/HOLDER
C1CADWITH TRAILER TOWING
D2RAJ5 SPOKE ALUMINIUM WHEEL
D3JWAP255/70RX16 OWL A/T (4)
EGAJB3.73 FINAL DRIVE RATIO
EGJACLIMITED SLIP REAR AXLE
EGLABFORD/VISTEON AXLE VENDOR
EJADF3200 LB(1451 KG) REAR AXLE ASY
EN0NECOLOGNE 4.0L SOHC EFI NA V6 G
GBVABFOR LEADED FUEL
GRAACTILT STEERING WHEEL
GTDABSPEED CONTROL
HDHACWITH KMH/MPH SPEEDO
IBAATELECT PREMIUM AM/FM STEREO/CASS/CLK
IBFACWITH CD PLAYER AUTOCHANGER
JBKABFRONT FOG LAMPS

Attachments

• PSX_20200615_134952.jpg
    PSX_20200615_134952.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 111

So cool! I bet it has almost no body/frame rot too...hot and dry over there.

In addition to regular oil changes, things I have done since purchase include:
  • Side airbag overlay wiring harness (Ford XL2Z-14B455-AA) to address DTC B1998

How difficult was that airbag overlay wiring harness job to do?

I see that there was a newer harness issued by TSB 03-24-1, that appears to be much smaller (only about 6-10 inches or so) and would be left next to the RCM instead of routed under the carpet and back under the front seats (so that they could be kicked around again - giving off false Airbag warning lights)).

I'm debating with going with the shorter wiring harness fix issued in TSB 03-24-1 or going with the harness you used - XL2Z-14B455-AA.

The shorter harness is approx. $60-80, while your harness is going for approx. $30.

EDIT: I see from your pics...that you actually have airbags in your front seats! My 99 does not...thus I need the wire harness that has the resistors in them to fool the RCM into thinking I have airbags in the seat - even though I don't.

Sorry for the late reply, only just logged in to see your post.

It wasn't too difficult of a job, took me about 2 hours. It involved taking out the seats, fishing the old harness out and fishing the new one in from under the carpets to the kick panels below the dashboard. Pretty much plug and play. I'm not entirely sure which harness you would required, however. As you noticed, I do have side airbags.

Back