• Register Today It's free!

Factory shop manuals on ebay

reflex26

Reaction score
City, State
Deposit,NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 xlt
I've been looking for a 1996 Ford explorer factory service manual but can't seem to find one.I've been checking on ebay for a while but only see several 1996 ford explorer supplements that say to be used in conjunction with the 95 factory manual.Did ford make a 96 manual or just the 96 supplement to add on to the 95 manual?Also I see several 1997 manual sets that are really reasonable.Would these be useful for my 96 and be close enough?I've also checked other places and can't find one.It would be hard for me to spend hundreds of dollars for a set if could find one.I have a Haynes manual which isn't much help.I get far more help from you guys on this site than any place else.Thanks for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

this site is by far better than any manual and is alot cheaper ive seen them out there for close to 300 thats alot of years here

You're absolutely right Blazepet7.I've gotten fantastic help from this site.

there appears to be a "pretty good" cd based one on sale now for $5.99..... it says it covers 96-2001. The pictures look pretty "authentic". Might be a good "gamble".

No question that this site is the best I have been on. I also have a Maxima and an Avalon and use sites for them, but they can't compare to this one. Best thing about this site - you can occasionally ask a stupid question/do something stupid and you don't get flamed by half a dozen jerks! Folks are generally more tolerant and helpful here.

But - having said all that - there is still no replacement for a FSM if you are going to do any but the simplest things.

Thanks for the help budwich& bobflood.I've been looking at the cd's because of the price but I would also like a FSM to have by my truck when i'm working on it.You are right I would've been lost without all the help I've gotten from you guys on this site.Thanks.

I just use the ford truck cd and print what I need near my vehicle. Having said that, IF the "Ford Truck Cd" was a "knock off copy" of the original manuals (I think) then I am glad I didn't buy the "paper" cause there is lots of "remove engine" like stuff with out much additional description on what to take off and how ... if you know what I mean. I had GM manuals for my past GM vehicles that I thought were a bit more descript but probably had just as many "guess tasks" as the Ford. Ultimately, the CD's are good cause you can skip around them pretty fast (I find) and they don't get dirty... :) Good luck in your hunt.

If you don't need all of the shop manual material AllData is a good site. It has major portions of the shop manual uploaded along with all TSBs for the vehicle. I used it for maintenance before I got a hold of a paper copy. The TSBs alone make the one year fee worth it.

If you can't find a paper copy on ebay you can order them from Helm Inc. I prefer paper over cd's so I can have it next to me while I work.

Back