Factory Subwoofer question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Factory Subwoofer question

Courage68

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 XLT Sport
Hi guys, i just picked up a ford explorer xlt sport 2005, it has the single cd player.

Anyways i found a factory woofer box and amp /w the harness from a junk yard for $20.

when i was pulling it out i found out the subwoofer connects to a 6 pin connecter on the passenger side under the glove box.

My question is do all explorers already have that connecter under the dash ready for a woofer install?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi guys, i just picked up a ford explorer xlt sport 2005, it has the single cd player.

Anyways i found a factory woofer box and amp /w the harness from a junk yard for $20.

when i was pulling it out i found out the subwoofer connects to a 6 pin connecter on the passenger side under the glove box.

My question is do all explorers already have that connecter under the dash ready for a woofer install?

--edit--

whats the rear panel called that the sub sits behind also.

It's on the passenger side, and no idea what the panel is called. I've seen some that have a cargo space and net in place of the sub. I'd guess that all of them have the same wiring harnesses and ability to add the sub, but I'm not 100%.

It's on the passenger side, and no idea what the panel is called. I've seen some that have a cargo space and net in place of the sub. I'd guess that all of them have the same wiring harnesses and ability to add the sub, but I'm not 100%.

Yeah mine has the cargo space with the net. ill check tomarrow under the dash and see if the connector is there . if it is ill i need to do is find a panel that allows the sub to fit behind it.

check behind the radio for 3 connectors. One is the 8 pin for the sub. With my '04 no, no extra wires. But i ran my own, which was easy.
I have a tread upgrading an audiophile sub in the audio section, where i documented it.
Essentially i had a basic radio with RSE, added a 10" sub, and the audiophile radio.

Does anyone know what the technical term for the rear panel is that covers the sub in the back, cant seem to find anywhere online.

Back