Factory trailer tail light connector | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Factory trailer tail light connector

RustyMacintosh

Reaction score
City, State
Monterey
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT 4x4 Exploder
I've bought two now for my 99 Exploder XLT. Neither of them fit. The small tabs on the side do not match up to the connection at the right rear.

So what is up? What pigtail connector DOES fit this 99? I see the vehicle connector is offset on the pins.

2 pins low then 2 pins top looking up at the connection coming from the vehicle.

The two connectors I bought, even when I cut off the tabs, I get nothing,,, I gotta be missing something here.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just looked up 95, 98, & 99 model tow plug harness, and they are all the same.

What harness are you trying? Curt, Reese, Tekonsha, etc... are all the same connectors that plug right in the factory pigtail.

You mention the connector on the right rear. I have only found them on the left rear. Maybe you have something different. If you only have 4 pins, it's for the 4 flat, not the 7 pin RV style, or the 6 pin for tag lights T harness.

Can you take a picture of your factory pigtail connector and share it here?

Have you tried the LEFT side connector? My 2000's & 2001's all had the factory trailer connector in the cargo area (unopened) and fit the left side connector behind the tail light. i'm not sure why there's a connector on both sides (or whether they're the same).

I just looked up 95, 98, & 99 model tow plug harness, and they are all the same.

What harness are you trying? Curt, Reese, Tekonsha, etc... are all the same connectors that plug right in the factory pigtail.

You mention the connector on the right rear. I have only found them on the left rear. Maybe you have something different. If you only have 4 pins, it's for the 4 flat, not the 7 pin RV style, or the 6 pin for tag lights T harness.

Can you take a picture of your factory pigtail connector and share it here?

Tekonsah

Have you tried the LEFT side connector? My 2000's & 2001's all had the factory trailer connector in the cargo area (unopened) and fit the left side connector behind the tail light. i'm not sure why there's a connector on both sides (or whether they're the same).

HAHAHAA---I forgot to look, I found it on the right side, figured that was it...never knew there was one on the left...tomorrow

BTW got new heads on my 94 XLT- you know I am impressed! Chinese new stuff off Ebay 2 heads 380 bucks took from the box installed.

Back