Fan belt

Brownpsu78

Reaction score
City, State
Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 XLT
Is there a best fan belt to buy?
Also I have read to scuff te pulleys? Is that general a good idea?
Does that premium w belt at autozone work well ? Or should I just get the motorcraft belt?

01 4.0 explorer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't scuff the pulleys. That might be ok for a V belt but not for a multi rib.

i have Autozone belts (Dayco brand i think) on 2 of my V8's and on my V6. i'm happy with them and would by them again. they cost around $30 as i recall. on the V8's putting on a belt seems to be a 2 person job (unless there's a trick to it i haven't figured out yet) but they run quite.

while the belt is off be sure to check the idler and tentioner bearings for noise and play. on a V6, you might want to replace the tensioner as they had a habit of breaking on some years, but maybe Ford had redesigned the tensioner by 2001.

The dealer was out of my belt.

What is the name of the tension wrench that u need?

The dealer was out of my belt.

What is the name of the tension wrench that u need?

I won't buy a Motorcraft belt (especially from the dealer ship $$$). Gates, Goodyear or Dayco are fine and much less money. Nothing special is needed. A 15mm socket on a ratchet (a piece of pipe to extend the ratchet handle helps for added leverage).

Tips: If there's no routing decal on the radiator core support, draw a picture of the old belt's routing before you remove it. Oh, and be careful of the crank position sensor and its wires or you may be wondering why you truck wont start when your done.

Should I mark all the pulleys to make sure they are in the correct position to guard the sensor? Or is it an external part I might bump?

Should I mark all the pulleys to make sure they are in the correct position to guard the sensor? Or is it an external part I might bump?

no need to mark the pulleys. yes, it is an external part found at about 1 o'clock on the crank pulley. just be careful of it and its plug.

Back