Farewell to my Explorer, and Thanks to this Forum | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Farewell to my Explorer, and Thanks to this Forum

mranderson214

Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
Hi Everyone,

On August 11th, 2009, I picked up my 2002 Ford Explorer XLT from a local seller who purchased the car at an auto auction. I needed a car that was a good fit for a college student, and could handle the brutal winters in Buffalo, NY. I'm taller than average at 6 foot 2, so I also wanted a car I could step up into and fit comfortably. My explorer was my first car. It got me through tough times and did way more than I could ask for from a first car. I never really had any major problems with it.

On May 11th, 2018, just short of 9 years of ownership, I was involved in a car accident when someone decided to cut out in front of me to make a left turn. I was going straight at roughly 35 mph, and they darted out and froze in place when they heard my horn. With that said, the engine was still running but it took a lot of damage in the front passenger area. Headlight, hood, windshield washer reservoir, bumper, etc. Being that the vehicle is 16 years old, and had so much mileage on it, the insurance adjusters decided to declare the car as totaled. Final mileage was 237,599. I was deeply saddened and actually shed tears over this because I had been through so much with this car.

I would like to take this moment to thank so many members from this forum for helping me keep my car on the road for so long. It was as though every time I had a problem or concern, someone here gave me advice on where I could check or what I could do. This forum honestly restores my faith in humanity. Combined with the knowledge here, was a lot of care on my end. Making sure I kept gas in the car, regular oil changes, engine work etc.

The moral of this story is that Ford Explorers CAN make it for hundreds of thousands of miles if taken care of properly. The 2002 model has such a bad reputation and so many known issues that for the first few years of having the car, I was scared. But it kept going and going and going. When I went to clean the car out at the salvage yard, the engine was still running. I have no doubt that I could've made it to 250K or even 300K had the other driver been paying attention before making the left turn.

Again, thanks to everyone here that's been help over the years! I'll be sure to keep my account here, in case someone has a problem with their 3rd Gen that I may be able to give advice on.

IMAG5565.jpg

Back