Fender flares permanent removal or repaint | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fender flares permanent removal or repaint

Bazz270

Reaction score
City, State
Haifa,Israel
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer 2007 XLT
Hi all

I am trying to get the "wide" wheel base look without changing my rims (now i have minus 10mm offset rockstar rims).
Also my 07 XLT fender flares looking terrible (they kinda gray because of the UV)...and also acc. to local DOT laws i cant use wheel spacers or bigger size wheels

so... i am trying to ask someone with fender permanent removal experience.

How its look without fender flares?

What should i do with fender mounting body rectangular holes without the fenders installed?weld and repaint?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi all

I am trying to get the "wide" wheel base look without changing my rims (now i have minus 10mm offset rockstar rims).
Also my 07 XLT fender flares looking terrible (they kinda gray because of the UV)...and also acc. to local DOT laws i cant use wheel spacers or bigger size wheels

so... i am trying to ask someone with fender permanent removal experience.

How its look without fender flares?

What should i do with fender mounting body rectangular holes without the fenders installed?weld and repaint?

Can't imagine my Explorer without any fender flares.

Actually this plastic moldings looks ok without UV effect.ive discovered that Gen 4 has XLS trim without wheel arc moldings.

Ill try to restore em with heat gun for the beginning

Heat blower gun effect:
IMG-20210619-WA0027.jpeg

Not really perfect but looks better

So today recoated my fenders with three layers of rustoleum black matte 2x ultracover.

Since ford outdoor TPO plastic parts already sold primed ,only proper surface cleaning action needed.

According to spray paint TDS for plastic parts painting about a week for the final curing needed.
20210701_141607.jpg

Bumpers painted (4 coats):
IMG-20210706-WA0012.jpeg
IMG-20210706-WA0008.jpeg

Final version(according to rustoleum specs after a week cure).ive no idea of color differences reason between rear bumper and rear wheel arc
IMG-20210706-WA0046.jpeg

Back