few ?s on a 2000 XLS 4.0ohv | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

few ?s on a 2000 XLS 4.0ohv

96limitedX

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
ok im detailing this 00' XLS 4x4 auto 4.0 ohv. it has 44k miles on it. he said if i can fix any of these little things to go for it.
so #1 when you rev it. it takes forever to return to idle. it still revs high and drops very slowly. my truck does not do this..neither does my moms 94 4.0 would cleaning anything(TB,MAS,..ect) fix this?

#2 the belt tensioner is moving alot at idle. it jumps around back and forth. i just replaced mine on my 96' because it was close to falling apart. was this still a problem in 00'? if so i would like to tell him about it so he can get it fixed.

#3 theres a loud ticking or somthing close to a tick by the pass side firewall. my truck does not do this..WTF is it?..lol

thanbks for anyone that can help :)

#1 - First thing to check would be the throttle cable, and cruise control cable. I'd take the cover off, so you can see where they attach to the throttle body, then try to hand throttle it there and see if either cable is binding. You can also detach the cables there to totally eliminate them. If that is not the problem, it could be the idle air control valve sticking. Other than that...?

#2 - Tensioner is the first thing I'd check, take the belt off and see how the pulley moves. You can also see if there is any play or drag on any of the pulleys you can move by hand.

#3 - Loud ticking could be a sticky lifter, kinda unusual on a low mileage engine, unless it has not had regular oil changes, the truck sat for a long time, or it got some gunk in the oil. Does the tick vary with engine RPM?

#3 is probably your A/C compressor, or the wrist pins in the engine.

Back