• Register Today It's free!

Few simple questions.

Vanquish502

Reaction score
City, State
Kitchener, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
91EB, 91EB, 92XLT
I just have a few simple questions that searching didnt help with.

1. 1991 Eddie Bauer Explorers have stock transmission coolers, correct?

2. The "amp" wire on the stereo wiring harness just has to go to a +12v source? In theory I could just connect it to the red +12v wire for the CD player?

3. Anyone know of any online off-road stores in Canada or that ship to Canada without rediculous rates?

4. My trucks temp guage takes forever to reach normal and sometimes goes back down while I'm driving. I'm assuming this isn't normal? After it goes to normal and goes down to cold, if I open the hood the motor is very hot. Anyone have a clue whats going on here?

I bet the temp gage issue os a bad thermostat. I left one on my STX run cold for a while and it killed the O2 sensor. A new thermostat is <$10 and 1-2 hours of work.

About the "amp" wire: It is for an output signal from a head unit that can power up an external amplifier when the head unit (radio/cd player) is turned on. Be careful. I wouldn't connect it to something that has 12v even when the car is turned off. You wouldn't want your amp to have constant power when the car and head unit is off.

The thermostat change can be a bit tricky if there is an a/c hose and fitting in the way.

Vanquish502 said:
2. The "amp" wire on the stereo wiring harness just has to go to a +12v source? In theory I could just connect it to the red +12v wire for the CD player?

Im trying to go off by what Red Robin said. is this an aftermarket amp? if i remember correctly the Red is the remote wire for the radio, you can use that to remote your amp on and off. As far as wiring it to the constant for the radio, that would be a no go sir. The radio already has an amp in it, drawing power from that will probably end up into a nasty sounding system. You are going to have to wire its own power source (p.s. our trucks are really easy to run wire from the battery/firewall to the trunk Via under the body. although i would personally use the gommet under the driverside of the dash.)

Back