Filled in the holes on my swiss cheese airbox | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Filled in the holes on my swiss cheese airbox

trucku

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Queens, New York and living in Budd Lake, NJ now.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLS 4.0 4x4
Thought it was a nice mod at first. I put in about 5 holes into the bottom of my airbox with an equivalent area of the of the space that the filter sits into.
So since this nice warm weather is upon us and I run my scanguage when I drive I noticed something interesting yesterday. Mass temp sensor was showing ambient air temp of 154 degrees Fahrenheit in stop and go traffic with outside air in the low 80s and water temp at 200 Fahrenheit. Truck felt like I was towing another exploder. Even after traffic started to move above 50mph the air temp showed in the low 130s. I guess all that hot air was just making my truck suffocate.
last night with about 5 sticks of hot glue and a two jewel case covers (couldn't find a better piece of plastic to cover it) all the holes were covered. I misplaced the tube that extends out the engine bay just behind the right headlight, so I used a cardboard tube for now and extended it just to behind the headlight (further than stock tube). So today driving in the late evening my coolant temp bounced from 197-200F, outside temp was a about low to mid 70s Fahrenheit and mass temp sensor showed between 80F to 90F if traffic was slow. Once I did some consistent driving 3 blocks or more the Mass temp went down to the low 80s. Thats not to bad considering the whole intake getting heat soaked.

I have a 3 hour drive upstate coming and going to see if I get some better mileage. wonder if long duration driving will bring mass temp down to outside ambient even with engine heat acting on the whole intake.

So looks like swiss cheese mod just leaves your truck with a lot of hot air....:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

and just think off all the open air filter elements you see under the hoods of various cars.

I have a huge cone filter too that I guess is now a shelf ornament. Its not going back into my truck. I originally took it off and did the box thing so the dealer wouldn't hassle me about mods and my warranty.

The seat of the pants difference is that my truck no longer wheezes under pedal to accelerate. It used to sound kinda weird under load. The hotter the day was the crummier it ran. I do mostly local driving.

I had an open intake on my ex-gf's 96 OHV V6 and using the scangauge found that the intake air temp was the same as ambient above 45 mph. It worked great on her's. Speeds lower than 45 showed intake temps a little higher than ambient, but I don't remember how much.

Maybe the 3rd gens get really crummy airflow into and out of the engine bay. I have been looking for a hood vent to put on the hood. Looking for one that cam on the hood of the 86 turbo z Daytonas and other dodge turbos. You had a member here Anrev who did it and it looked pretty nice. I am sure it really made a difference in air flow.

i had an open element filter on my '96, worked great in the fall / winter. Once summer rolled around and temperatures started breaking 80 both the gas mileage and power fell off sharply. Like you i hooked up my AutoTap and saw 120 plus intake temperatures, needless to say the factory box went back in that night.

Now i also have a C&L open air on my mustang, the filter is in the engine bay with a heat shield only.. i have yet to see the intake temps get more than a few degrees above the outside temp, but there is also a lot more room in the engine bay than a Exploder.

I have a Mac intake with an Amsoil filter on my '99 SOHC here in hot Florida.

I have never had any heat issues with this setup.

I have a Mac intake with an Amsoil filter on my '99 SOHC here in hot Florida.

I have never had any heat issues with this setup.

? Maybe your gen has better airflow than a third:dunno: What does your intake temp compare to ambient air?

All is well now. Driving up to Lake George my intake air was same as ambient....ohh chilly chilly. The truck ran well and she no longer feels powerless.

Attachments

• DSCF2552.jpg
    DSCF2552.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 618

I was also thinking that maybe 3rd gen had less airflow around the airbox. I can't remember how yours is set up under hood, though.

Its just behind the right headlight. It gets blasted with hot air from the fan. The only place I see where the engine heat exits from is the wheel well area round the suspension. So the air box sits just above that in a heat zone :dunno:

Back