Finally fixed my high coolant temperature problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Finally fixed my high coolant temperature problem

Harley McIntyre

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Geneva, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer EB 4.6l
I have an 06 v8, and i was getting an issue where at idle if i sat for say 5-10 min, my coolant temperature would start rising higher and higher, it would get up to 225 and at that point id either turn the heat on full blast in fear of the engine overheating, and or start driving again, turns out it was the fan clutch which did seem to still be working cause it would roar when i started moving again then settle back down, so to knock out any other possible future issues, i replaced the fan clutch and water pump both with the new and updated motorcraft units (fun fact the newer water pumps have a larger impeller with larger blades aswell, by a pretty substantial amount) along with a new high flow thermostat just to be safe, now at idle with the ac on full blast the temperature rarely ever exceeds 205 with an occasional jump to 207 but usually runs at 200-205, as soon as i started it up i heard the fan roar with the engine then settle down, once the truck had warmed up i could hear the fan start cycling but not aggressively or loudly, basically performing how its supposed to which i never knew it should be doing that. A nice bonus is the ac is also colder than before, albeit not a ton but definitely noticeable.

Also when i had the bad clutch i had no codes at all so thats why i was confused, i only got a code one time that went away in a few minutes.

If anyone else is having a similar issue, i recommend doing this, but stick to motorcraft, it may be more expensive but they will perform way better than any cheaper "heavy duty" unit that is cheaper, along with being quieter.

Going on a 2000 mile move in about two weeks and we shall see how this old girl handles it, ill be crossing the continental divide with multiple 5% grades and a 7% grade. 196k and still running strong! (definitely need to do the timing soon and upgrade to the melling HV oil pump then ill be set for an easy 350k!)

Thanks, good info!

Back