finally,pics of the system with some new stuff added... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

finally,pics of the system with some new stuff added...

XonDubs

Reaction score
City, State
wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 5.0 AWD Limited
i know its not an explorer, but i figured you guys might still be interested.
heres some pics of my setup,4 12 inch rockford fosgate HE2 DVC, rockford fosgate 1000a2 amp,JVC KD-LHX500 touchscreen cd player.now im trying to figure out what i want, the box to be fiberglassed and painted or carpeted. and in the making, some components for the doors in custom fiberglass enclosures for the 8 inch midbass drivers in the doors.
448160_49_full.jpg

448160_50_full.jpg

448160_51_full.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

will hit a ton harder if you can get them all on the same plane and firing the same direction etc.

thats got to have some bad cancellation

why the... never mind. Just a suggestion like expo said, you already have them sealed so you must not be worried about extreme spl. So why not look into a glassed box/false floor on the trunk. Glass the bottom using the spare tire well, encase the sides with mdf and point all 4 subs up?

Bet those 8" midbass in the doors will sound nice though! Good stuff!

well see, this is just one of the test boxes i built. it does have a ton of cancelation. but see. i cant figure out how the hell im going to get all 4 in a row when i only have 16 inches high,37 inches wide and 32 inches deep to work with...my next try is going to be all firing down.with the ports coming up through the 6x9 holes...what do you think?

most anything would be better than that. if four wont fit your better off doing two.

give them to me...they will be much better off in my X haha i can have a nice big box

i know you can :p
448160_39_full.jpg

hmm...thats interesting, i bet you had fun looking out your rear view with that one...but i see no vent haha

how about...

a sealed box, taking up the entire floor of the trunk, including the glassed part of the spare tire well. With subs inverted. You cant tell me you wont be able to fit that.

Depending on the depth of the subs you might not need to invert them. Just mold along the shape of your trunk. Finish the top with cosmetic panels, possibly flush your amp in there?

Oh I didn't realize that was you w/ the red ex. Yeah there's a port there if I can remember - down near the bottom, a little on the small side.

yup, it was a bit small but i had it going in deep....
i know itll fit if i have them fire up or down, but im not sure on how it will do spl wise

spl tested it at a place around my house and it hit 153.7 DB and they said there didnt seem to be too much cancelation. :shrug: it did better then i thought but now im already trying to think of a way to get it better lol.that was with the amp in stereo mode, tonight ill try bridged.

should be about a 3db gain

i bridged it and holy **** can i tell a difference. im lovin this thing more and more. i think it sounds perfect now. tomorrow i will be taking it to sound world and spl test it, since they have a brand new meter and it will be more accurate then the old one we used today...
i have a feeling itll only hit like 149 on the new mic though...if that lol ill let you guys know

do people time align the drivers in the high end mobile systems ?

Meaning delay the signal to certain speaker components so they are all fireing at the exact time ?

It is very common in professional live concert settings. ( and a PITA too )

my cd player is able to do the time delay. I started to try and figure it out one day but it involves to much measuring distance and math. Then i started to think about it. If i do all this measuring so that it sounds great from the driver seat, whats its going to sound like in the passenger seat (yes my wife drives sometimes lol) so i just let it be.

Yeah phase, time correction all that stuff I'm sure comes into play in some of the best SQ vehicle setups out there. My alpine has time correction - too lazy to do it right so I just tweak it till it sounds good to me, screw my passengers :p

i have mine time corrected with my 5.1 system. was a ton of fun. too bad i have to redo it now that i changed it all around.

dave btw- got the amp. its scary large.

lol it is a huge, and heavy ****. Get the subs too yet? I had to ship them seperately so either would not get damaged.

Back