Finished 1K mile break in! Fuel economy ^ | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Finished 1K mile break in! Fuel economy ^

1995E

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 + 11 Ex both XLT
Hey guys! Just wanted to say that I had 700 miles on my Explorer before I went 230 miles towards New York from MD. Fuel economy originally was 15 - 17 max. After the first 100 miles, fuel economy slowly rose from my original 15 to 19 and then 20 by the time I got to New York. I averaged 19 MPG while I was in Chinatown in New York which was surprising with all the bumps and traffic lights. When I returned home, my fuel economy slowly rose from there to 21 and then 22.3 MPG was my maximum! Very close to the 23 MPG Ford is saying for 4WD. I am amazed and happy about the great fuel economy and comfortable ride. If you guys have my fuel economy problems, doing highway at the last of your break in really improves the MPGs!

The Explorer keeps up with traffic so well and it's so fast... I couldn't help but speed up to 90 MPH by accident. Just a small press on the accelerator and you'll go 70 MPH with under 2k RPM! With the sync, I didn't have to take my eyes off the road which is important in the highway!

BTW I saw a sterling gray Explorer on a carrier parked in the shipping yard near Nuwark airport. It could be your Explorer!

Something doesn't look right. How are you measuring it? Did you reset the trip mileage just for this trip so that the MPG would be measured just for the trip?

The only accurate way to measure, is to take the actual mileage from your trip meter and devide by the actual gallons you pump into the tank. Don't top-off the tank. Clear trip meter, and repeat. The old fashion way.

Back