Finnaly got a tune... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Finnaly got a tune...

I just got my tune today from doug over at bamachips. He had an xcal 2 he would overnight me with a tune for my trip this weekend, i decided i was set on getting my speed limiter removed, and after a couple local shops stepping on their D#@$@ last minute about a dyno tune i went to doug.

Got it before noon today and installed the 91 performance tune. I dont have a ton of mods but this thing really woke the explorer up, the transmission seems to know right where its going instead of hunting gears and what not.

I like it alot but am not impressed with my explorers 100+ mph performance it just doesnt have the pull i would like at that speed.

My only other gripe is i had hoped the transmission would be alot more firm and shift harder. It still feels weak to me, not sure if getting him to write a more custom tune would be the option there.

As for my top end performance im thinking i will get a shop local to install a 70hp wet kit with a window switch and all the goodies, and hopefully if i can find one get a dyno tune to make sure everything is up to snuff. But so far im very impressed with what a little box can do to your explorer:thumbsup:

anyone know the performance gain of running a full exhaust, headers, catless y pipe, no cat, and dual 2" or whatever comes out of the y-pipe piped out the side? im thinking especially with nitrous that an open flowing exhaust would be beneficial and the sound would be a big bonus..

so after a chip, upgraded coil wires and plugs, cold ait, and cat back....whats the next step? bang for buck;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It'll take a lot to make it pull hard past 100mph your fighting a lot of aerodynamic problems. As far as your shifts go you can try changing the shift pressure. I'm not sure if doug unlocks those for you or not, James does all of my tuning. Anyway when your install the tune it should ask if you want to change the optional parameters, scroll down to shift press 1-2, hit select and you should be able to raise it up some, same for the 2-3 and 3-4.

ok I checked it out and yes I can but te number is at zero so im afraid to raise it does this affect the tune itself like is 10 percent a ten persent incease over the tune or will that zero out the tune and change that to ten percent...ihope you follow what im saying any helps appreciated how high should I raise this?
Posted via Mobile Device

The tune file won't be affected, it will just remember that the pressure is at 15% instead of 0%, and if you want to lower it back down you can do so at anytime. The max I can increase mine is 25%, yours may be different as we have different transmissions, and different guys doing the tuning. I like mine about 15% about the base, but the only way you'll find out what you like is to play with the settings.

ok sweet i think ill start at 15 as ive been reading around and seems like a good point, so will having it at 25% increase on all the shifts affect the life of my transmission any? im assuming there is a cap on it at 25% or whatever it is for a reason and anymore would subsequently cause damage, but thats just what im guessing.

I've never messed with that settin before. So Eric, Does raising it firm out there shift more??

oohh ok. I honestly just never really wanted to tamper with the setting but I will go and adjust the shifting settings some and see how I like it.

ok I checked it out and yes I can but te number is at zero so im afraid to raise it does this affect the tune itself like is 10 percent a ten persent incease over the tune or will that zero out the tune and change that to ten percent...ihope you follow what im saying any helps appreciated how high should I raise this?
Posted via Mobile Device

Give Doug a call.

Good luck ......

Just curious but why would you want to exceed 100 MPH in an Explorer?

over 100mph in an explorer purely for excitement and entertainment....and yes when i do try to top it out its at the alameda naval base the old abandoned one like an entire airstrip to rip down.

so ive been talking to brg racing about nitrous install and dyno tune looking around 1200$ at the absolute max, probably significantly less. my explorer will not pull past 4k rpm's in fith at 120mph or real close to that, on level ground no serious wind it just will not pull anymore. and after driving with the 91 performance tune for a few days now im impressed with my explorer it has very nice 40-100mph acceleration, it just seriously lacks the first gear 0-40 :( its terrible! my old ford windstar would murder my explorer and it was a giant minivan....its not like i have alot of tirespin at launch :|

I have no idea what point anyone tries to prove driving these things above 100mph :roll::rolleyes:

I have the factory limiter still in place and was actually thinking of lowering it since it can get up to those speeds pretty quick if you arent paying attention. Its also not good for the engine, it places a lot of load on it. Theres no safe way to get there, you either floor it and load up the engine or go up slowly and hope you dont hit something along the way or pop the tires or whatever.

Anyways the next step is get a wideband 02 gauge/kit if you dont have one, especially with a power adder, but taking your eyes off the road at 100 plus looking at the wideband isnt good either, so Im not sure. :confused:

Back