Annapolis, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Limited
1st 2002 Ford Explorer Recall?
Published: 03 April 2001
By: Robert Lane
Source:
Updated: 1:05pm, est.

As more 2002 Explorers are making their way to dealerships and consumer's garages, so are the reports of the rear lift gate glass breaking. Sources at one of the Explorer's assembly plants told BlueOvalNews on 21 February that the rear lift gate glass was breaking or sometimes even exploding when the lift gate was closed, even softly. BlueOvalNews first reported the problem on 26 February as one of five that were holding up 2002 Explorer shipments to Ford dealers. After months of delays, Ford assembly plants began shipping 2002 Explorers on 22 February 2001.

It's unknown as to how many 2002 Ford Explorers Ford shipped that will have to have new glass and/or door shock/supports replaced. A Ford dealer told BlueOvalNews that a new 2002 Explorer arrived with pieces of broken glass in the rear cargo area, which would be consistent with reports of glass breakage from assembly plant sources.

The latest quality sting is occurring at a time when Ford is preparing to launch an advertising blitz promoting the 2002 Explorer as the best ever.

While an early 2002 Explorer recall wouldn't be a popular idea among Ford executives, it might be an inevitable necessary, but consistent with Ford's most recent new vehicle launches. According to a Ford dealer, OASIS (a Ford to dealership communication system) will begin releasing VIN information regarding the glass breakage problem.

Ford Motor Company purchased a former furniture warehouse next to the St. Louis assembly plant and converted it to repair vehicles that require service or repairs after final assembly, excluding trim. Employees at St. Louis that are labor grade class 3 and repairmen were scheduled for voluntary overtime (84 hours at week) until April 01 to ward off any more potential problems that would force Ford to stockpile Explorers.

The main concern at St. Louis is the consistent parts shortage which forces the plant to idle production for hours at a time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's nothing new. My rear window (and I've got a '93) exploded after being shut (softly!).

Doh! Maybe if they built things with quality the first time, they wouldn't have any problems.....Wasn't one of Ford's slogan "Quality is job 1" er something along those lines?
Pete

Originally posted by RFR2212
Doh! Maybe if they built things with quality the first time, they wouldn't have any problems.....Wasn't one of Ford's slogan "Quality is job 1" er something along those lines?
Pete

I think during the last restructuration of Ford, they eliminated job 1.

All companies have little problems with new cars, but the deal with Ford is getting rediculous! maybe its just that we hear more about their problems than other carmakers?

The problem is probably the size of the rear glass. It is huge. That would seem to be an issue that Ford perhaps didn't take into account.

Don't bash the Blue Oval fellas!

Don't be ragging on the Blue Oval too much. I just went for a drive in a '94 Blazer today(same year as mine) and it was clunking, rattling, shimmying, and did I say rattling. Had to arm wrestle the damn thing down the road. The quality did not even come close to mine. I know the vehicle probably wasn't maintained as well as mine, but still. It reaffirmed my faith in my Ford product - not that I had any doubt.

Oh Blazers are horrible vehicles. If you ask me its one of the worst vehicles on the road today.

The rear glass actually isnt that big, it has a strip of metal at the bottom of it that opens with the glass, maybe that isnt adequately supported?

Maybe...

Maybe the should do a "RANCH" style door like on the Excursion. The bottom half open in 2 door and the upper half is a fix window(in a frame) that opens up. That sure would solve there probleme. I had my 94 blow up 2 months ago, without touching anything...

Well, we knew the day was coming. Happy first recall 2002 Explorer!! Here's to many more (as we can expect there will be).

Back