Callsign
AB7FH
St. Louis plant employee gives BlueOvalNews
inside scoop about production quality regarding
the new 2002 Explorer/Mountaineer

Published: January 2, 2001
By: Steve Blake
http://www.blueovalnews.com

Vehicle production quality has not been at its best in recent years at Ford Motor Company. The Ford Escape was plagued with five recalls at launch and the Ford Focus saw three. But, according to a confidential source at Ford's St. Louis Assembly Plant, which produces the new 2002 Ford Explorer and Mercury Mountaineer, that is all about to change.

"Nasser and Ford Jr. want every unit out to the dealers from the S.L.A.P. (St. Louis Assembly Plant) PERFECT.... No defects no matter how little they are," our source at the St. Louis Assembly Plant told us. "They will not tolerate an Escape fiasco with five dealer recalls in the first six months. That's why the new 2002 Explorer will not be available until this spring because we are starting our launch on January 2, 2001 and holding them at the plant to make sure ALL of them are to perfection and the launch team can iron-out the bugs and details to make it right for every unit that goes out to dealers."

The same St. Louis employee also confirmed an earlier report by BlueOvalNews regarding problems with the new 4.6L V8 engine that comes as an option on the new 2002 Explorer. "Problems with the all aluminum 4.6 V8 is the first concern.....it has been blowing head gaskets and over-heating big time."

The National Ford Dealer Council, led by President Jerry Reynolds (owner of Prestige Ford in Garland, Texas) recently made a trip to Dearborn for a meeting with Ford Motor Company executives to address vehicle quality concerns. "Our dealers have told us that quality is their No. 1 concern," Reynolds said in an interview with Detroit News' Mark Truby. "We want them to feel confident that recalls are going down and that quality is going up."

For Ford Motor Company, improving vehicle production quality has to be a top priority in the face of a slowing economy, resulting in a drop in overall consumer demand, if Ford is going to maintain its dominance of the automotive market. It could also have a significant impact on Ford Motor Company's bottom line because of the enormous costs involved in covering any type of vehicle recall.

The Firestone tire issue has also had a negative impact on Ford Motor Company's consumer confidence and was addressed by our source at St. Louis. "We have put up with a lot of lip and hype from the other 2 U.S. automaker's employees that are based here about our Explorer we produce. Trust me; we run into each other
constantly and talked about the others performance and quality. We knew all along it was a tire problem and not a vehicle problem from the start. We take pride in the number one selling SUV Ford Explorer. It's our job."

If Ford Motor Company is able to install the pride this employee exhibits back into the general public, 2001 could be a great year for Ford Motor Company, Ford Division, Ford and Lincoln Mercury Dealers, plant employees, and most importantly, the consumers and enthusiasts that continue to drive Ford to record sales.

Well, it's good to know that Ford is really working on quality, instead of just saying that. My parents plan on getting a 2002 Explorer or a Sequioa (SP?), and it'll be interesting to see which one they choose. I'll be sure to go with them test drive the new Explorer's ;)

quality over looks

they may be more structurally sound than the others, but there is no way i would trade mine for one. no chrome, low sitting, and what is up with the back hatch? maybe they will have redesigned them again when it is time for me to trade mine in for a new one, which will probably be in 6 years (pharmacy school). but, like i say: my opinion and $.50 will only get me a coke.

Back