Fitting a 33" Spare Tire Under the X | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fitting a 33" Spare Tire Under the X

zhanx

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Up state NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 xls
How to:

Tools Needed

Saws-all
Paint Marker
Drill

Parts needed

1" Metal Plug from Home Depot (if you got a BL)

Ok the pics will follow the post

I drove about 1000 miles home with the spare tire under the x for the first time in about a year. It was nice since it was christmas and i got lots of loot to haul home

This is the end result. oh and yes i know the white paint looks gay but i cleaned up everything while i was under there and have to get some black spray paint

anyways here:

Attachments

• IMG_0032_586x440.jpg
    IMG_0032_586x440.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 606

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Step 1

First i put up the spare tire to see how it fit. it fit like so

a little tilted to the front due to metal being in the way and wuth the bump on i have no acess to the crank.

Attachments

• IMG_0025_586x440.jpg
    IMG_0025_586x440.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 611

Step 2

This was what was in the way (someone tell me how to upload and put pics where i want them so i can do this in one post)

Attachments

• IMG_0026_586x440.jpg
    IMG_0026_586x440.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 613

Step 3

I cut it out flush with the frame like so
(measure twice cut once)

Attachments

• IMG_0030_330x440.jpg
    IMG_0030_330x440.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 599

The Finish

now the tire only clears my diff cover by about this far > < as you can see from the last pic. Now i Also drilled a hole for the metal cap and put it on so i can get to the crank thro the bumper. I'll be getting touch up paint later to make it match.

Disclaimer. Dont be a dumbA$s and wheel with this.(well its your truck do what your wallet can afford). Second while my spare tire stays up your may not so dont blame me (test the thing first).

and for those of you who need reason why on this. Its a daily driver so i need a spare, plus i need to pack horse stuff a lot and the spare gets in the way. etc. plus its nice to have it out of the way but accessible.

anyways the last pic of the clearance on the diff. (its close but not rub at all).. got more pics if needed but this is not hard and no a 35" will NOT fit with out a lot more cutting.

Attachments

• IMG_0028_330x440.jpg
    IMG_0028_330x440.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 594

yeah I have a 35 spare and its in the cargo area but as soon as I get a basket its gonna be on the roof!

96limitedX said:
nice!

makes me feel better about getting a 31 under my truck.

i dont see a bl in your sig so it should be easy to do this with no work.

i have a 2" body lift. and i still have not made the hole to get to the spare tire winch. i need to do that soon.

Looks good zhanx...The low hanging spare may cause some problems while offroading..but besides that,.. you made it work! :thumbsup:

I am debating what to do with my spare tire space since I mounted the spare on the back of the X.. :D

SPORT4.0 said:
...The low hanging spare may cause some problems while offroading..

hence the disclaimer for wheelin with it on.. its my dadily driver so i need a spare just in case. it will come off on the trails.

i know this is a pretty dead thread but i didn't want to start a new one. I'm running 33x12.5 pro comp mud terrains and i don't have a full size spare. i also have zero room inside the truck for a spare and would like to avoid having it on the roof. is it possible and reasonable to get a cheap(er) 33x10.5 tire and have it not hang as low as the OP's? (unless his is 33x10.5 as well)

I also have a Hidden Hitch tow hitch that needs to stay on

thats 12.50 i slung over there. and its fine it never hits on anything. and yes you can use a 10.50 as a spare and save weight and space.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes...=false&fromCompare1=yes&partnum=395R5ATAKORWL
I'm thinking about getting one of these 33x9.5R15s. I want my spare to tuck up as high as possible. I'll have to get a cheap 15" steel wheel to go with it. I don't plan on doing any extreme off roading with it.

Right now, I just have the stock 30" spare under there. It'll have to go on the front if ever needed. I just want something that is around the same height as the rest, so it is safe to drive after a flat.

bump

It's best to have it on the front to avoid smoking the clutch packs in the rear, but even then your transfer case will be making up the slack. So I wouldn't drive far. That being said I have 32's with a 30" spare and plan to use it in a pinch if need be, but I'm only driving the truck as far as I have to and I won't be doing 70.

As a side note for guys looking to try this, 96's and maybe 97/early 98 have less room for a spare. I could hardly fit a 30" up in my 96 where as my 99 had plenty of room. Frame is actually designed a little different on the earlier trucks before the 255/70/16's were offered.

Back