Fitting Question, PLEASE HELP! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fitting Question, PLEASE HELP!

Hey guys, Ive been looking into getting a new set of rims and Im not sure of the fitting and want to know from you guys with experience! I want Cobra R's which are 17'' x 9'' wide and I have been told to go with Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/60 to prevent rubbing but I have heard that most go with 275/55 for those particular rims. I also have been interested in the Ford Lightning rims from the 1997-99 year models. I researched those and they are matched up with Goodyear Eagle F1-GS, 295-45ZR-18's but the question is do you guys know if those would fit on an Explorer? Mine is 1996 4 Door 5.0L 2WD and currently it has the stock suspension but I want to lower it just under 2 inches if not less than that but its only for performance and handling. Will these rims fit at all on my Explorer or do I have to stick with the Cobras? If they will fit, what about after I lower my Explorer some with new shocks? Do you guys think that 18''s would be too harsh of a ride and should I stick with the Pirelli/ Cobra R combo? Please help!

You'll have to stick with the Cobra's, the problem you'll have with the lighning wheels is that you have a 5X4.5 inch bolt patern, the wheels on the F150's are 5X135 mm... They're off just enough that they won't fit right, now if you wanted to change out all of your hubs then you could do it, but I'm not sure what all would be involved with doing that...

try searching for troll, spas, tbomb and some others.... the lightning rims will not fit your truck, they are a different bolt pattern...... anything of a jeep or a mustang however will fit your truck..you have a 5 on 4.5" lug pattern

Back