Fix or Swap, Would like assistance. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fix or Swap, Would like assistance.

ztree

Reaction score
City, State
Purcell, Oklahoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 xlt 91 sport
First of all I am new to the site as my # of post should show. Little History here on me. Have a 92 4dr 2WD auto w/87 k miles. Just picked-up a 91 2dr sport 5spd 4x4 w/75K miles. The 2dr took a hit to the passenger side front and the tranny is going out on the 4dr. Plan was to take body parts from the 92 and rebuild the 91. However I have encountered a couple of problems.

1. Can not get 91 to start with the ignition. If I bypass the starter solenoid the motor will crank. Add a little starting fluid and will start for a few seconds. I have checked the fuel cut-off and it is reset. When I turn the key the tach spins but nothing else. No clicking or fuel pump whining. Have checked all fuses all ok. If anyone has any suggestion on this would be gratefully.

2. When loading the 91 on a trailer noticed the rear tires where not rolling. Got in put the truck in neutral and still the tires would not roll. The only way to get the tires to move is to depress the clutch and hold. If you shift the gears you can feel each gear engage (all but reverse won't let me shift into it). Has any one had this problem before, or know a solution?

Would it be easier to fix the two problems with the 91 or transfer the tranny, xfer case and front axle to the 92? I have gotten alot of excellent help form the site already and would appreciate some more.

Thanks
Cary.

1. Check the relays, maybe the fuel pump relay is fried and lack of fuel is what's keeping it from starting. If you don't hear the fuel pump turn on when you turn the key before starting, something is keeping it from turning on.

2. If it's not the parking brake in the rear drums that's keeping the rears locked, then it might be a stuck clutch, thouch that's pretty weird for it to be able to engage in neutral. If you're going to do tranny work on it during the swap, you'll likely discover the cause along the way. You could just disconnect the rear driveshaft to let the truck roll for now.

As for what to do, I'd say that depends on what you want. If you want a 4 door 4x4 more than you want a 2 door 4x4, might as well do the swap. Whichever way you decide to go, it's nice having more than one for parts along the way.

Just as an udate thanks for the looks and the replies, but I have decided to fix both of the trucks and use the 4 dr as a driver/flat-tow rig for the 2 dr. The 2 dr will be my play rig for the river and trails.

The relay for the fuel pump was fried. and so is the start position on the ignition. So I am going with the tried and true turn key press new start button for ignition.

The tranny is stuck in reverse have to pull it out to fix. Bad part is was rebuilt not too long ago.

Back