Would like a second opinion (fuel pump) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Would like a second opinion (fuel pump)

Audio_1

Reaction score
City, State
Red herring
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 xlt
My explorer has had trouble starting for a little while now where it will just crank and crank forever and other times it starts fine. I think the fuel pump is bad because I have tested the fuel pressure and i have to try multiple times to get it to show any real pressure. sometimes it will show less then 5psi then it will randomly shoot up to 28-30psi and when I release the pressure it takes about 15 seconds to climb back to that pressure. I replaced the fuel filter less than a year ago so i do not think that it is a factor.

I would just like to see what you folks think about this before I spend money on a fuel pump.

well, no fuel pressure doesn't mean that the pumps bad, it means that the pump can't do its job. That could be because it is bad OR because the electricity (wiring) going to it is no good. Tons of posts on checking for voltage and continuity going to the pump. Simple check... along with resistance measure on the pump itself will tell you what you need to know.

Replace your fuel filter again. One tank of bad gas can clog it up. Also check your inertia switch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JXbglWWOS8

If those dont fix it check for a fuel pump wire grounding out. No false grounds then replace the fuel pump.

When it doesn't want to start, do you hear the fuel pump prime? If not, replace the fuel pump relay.

Back