Fixing uneven driver's seatback | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fixing uneven driver's seatback

Gator Jeff

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport 4x4
The bottom (and likely the whole) left side of my driver's seat is about an inch further back. It still reclines and goes forward without problems, but it does get uncomfortable on longer drives. I've included a picture, but I'm not sure if it shows the problem very well.

Busted Seat.JPG

Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It could just be that the seat foam is in bad shape. But unbolt the seat and see if there are any bent rails or something.

Wasn't that caused by a broken seat back recliner bolt affected by the recall a couple years back? I'm off work this week, so I don't have the number in front of me...

-Joe

The foam is fine, at least as fine as a seat with 115k can be. I also removed the seat a while back and the rails seem fine. The recliner bolt sounds like the most likely problem.

Can anyone remember the recall Joe is talking about?

Thanks!

had the same problem somewhat on a 88 bronco ii i had.the pivot bolts where fine when i took the backing cushion off and found the backing frame, the spot welds let go.i covered up any thing that could catch fire and re twist the frame in placeand welded the backing frame in place.

it some thing to look into aswell.

Back