How to: 2nd gen bodylift - PA 883 Bodylift Instructions | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: 2nd gen bodylift - PA 883 Bodylift Instructions

OK This thread is great, but I have been searching for Bolt Length for an eternity. For some reason my searches returned nothing.

Here is a thread that contains more technical detail on the lift

Thanks for 99Ex22 for posting it and 71Cutty455 for pointing it out. That thread has the info I needed to create my custom lift

OK here is a Diagram I put together for the bolt layout this may also help those trying to find the bolt locations.
attachment.php

rookie question.. if i was piecing together my own bodylift id be after 12mm Grade 8 threaded rod? does anyone know the thread pitch?

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thanks, the only Grade 8 rod they show is 1.75 pitch.

I believe the 883 kit only comes with grade 5 hardware though?

the reason im doing this is i already have 3'' blocks from another build and i priced out the bodylift kit and its going to be around 270 canadian with tax, so i might as well just piece together my own b/l.

thanks

in my B/L kit some of the factory bolts were used in the installation of my body lift, such as the two bolts right behind the rear seats are used on the rear tail gate mounts. so this will help narrow the amount of bolts you would have to hunt down.

fastenal may be another place to look.

or if you can go to a standard size bolt that is close to the same size as the body bolts. just drill the threads out of the mounts and use nylock nuts on all the body bolts.

thanks, the only Grade 8 rod they show is 1.75 pitch.

I believe the 883 kit only comes with grade 5 hardware though?

the reason im doing this is i already have 3'' blocks from another build and i priced out the bodylift kit and its going to be around 270 canadian with tax, so i might as well just piece together my own b/l.

thanks

Do you have the steering extension and other related parts for doing the 3" lift? More to it then just 3" lift pucks and bolts.

yes i have the steering extension, ill be making all the drop brackets and ill get the rest of the hardware when i figure out what thread these bolts are, ill just take one out and figure it out myself.

12x1.75

Wrapped up my 2" lift yesterday.

yeah they are standard coarse thread metric. Oh and BTW if you are trying to find a grade 8 metric bolt you won't. Metric bolts come in a variety of hardness ratings starting at 4.6 going to 12.9. The hardness should be cast onto the head of the bolt, I would look for anything above 10.9 for this application.

Just curious, why are you going to use all thread? a properly sized bolt will be much stronger and more resistant to wear.

id obviously rather use the bolts, specially knowing what size and length to get, but getting parts and hardware where i live is a royal PITA!! the 2 bolt supply stores around me, 1 you have to buy the bag of bolts of that size, which is 10, so i'd end up with 50 bolts, the second store would be around 7 bucks a bolt. ill try and find botls. i know it seems half assed the way im doing it but id like to do a body lift for less then 300 or more. ive done probably 10 body lifts on various trucks, i've used threaded rod before and never had a problem.

thanks for the help guys!

i live in canada, so 160 american..by the time it got to my door itd still well over 200. and i dont have a credit card..their evil lol..im proud to say im 25 and dont owe a dime!!

i dont have a credit card..their evil lol..im proud to say im 25 and dont owe a dime!!

If you pay it off each month, it's a good way to build credit. Makes it a lot easier to buy a house.

If you pay it off each month, it's a good way to build credit. Makes it a lot easier to buy a house.

well i dont really want to get into bank accounts over the net but lets just say mines in the plus..plus.. lol

No Beer

Started doing this a 10pm when I got off last night, one big pain in the ass. Spent 7 hrs working on it last night with no beer and no help. I won't do that again.

384412_290908267611059_100000756643296_758346_602126599_n.jpg

note rear bumper not done

not bad!

7 hrs on your own is about right as for time spent.

and why not do it on your own again?? you got it done! and you can say you did it.

congratulation on a job well done!

so you didn't have much trouble with the body mounts bolts coming out?

I won't do that again.

Nor should you have to, unless you sell it and buy another one. Looks good though, and you can say you did it yourself. Nice work.

well I'm bummed. I have tried several times to post pics of my 2001 ex sport but get nothing but red X. It sucks being 57 and having no teens in the house for this high tech chit.

Dont feel bad, I used to post links, now I get red x also... So much for memory... Post the link where you store them, we can always click on the link or a mod can fix it. There is also exact instructions here for posting pics.

do you have an off site account to hold your pictures in? say like photobucket.com

which is free to down load your pictures to. you sign up, up load your pictures, copy the image code, post it in the message box and hit reply and you in!

hope this helps

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back