onelasttry

Reaction score
City, State
Chattanooga, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 xlt 2wd 5 speed 2.3L
let me give you an example of what i'm talking about:

PART# F67F-12A650-DB

The 6 behind f6 seems to indicate year because my 95 has a 5 there and this is the code to a 96 explorer ecu.

the end code here is DB, but i have an "AD" on mine and i've seen DC on some elsewhere.

I need to figure out that the end code means (and the rest of it) very soon because i bid on a ecu and didnt notice the end code was different until i bid. I don't do bid retractions, so i'll just have to eat it if noone comes along to save the day.

Can someone tell me what the codes mean? thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well, i own it. now, can anyone figure out what the numbers stand for and how compatible this is or isn't? I am trying to find out what the diff is. if only certain suttle features are changed.. like the keypad control or something, i'll keep it for a spare.

If you got a 96 computer it won't work at all. A 95 explorer is EEC IV and a 96 explorer is EEC V.

i guess i'll get the unit in a few days. i'll post a classified...lol. the number i used in the op for an example is the part number.

i still wanna know what they mean because there were two computers and both had the same numbers aside of the last two .

thanks for the response.

The last two digits are for the part# revision. As the part gets revised, the letters get higher. For instance when I was looking for some replacement bulbs, the bulk part number was the same between my '97 and the '98 that I had the part number for. The difference being my lights have a green tint, the '98s have a blue tint. The last two letters on the '98 part number were AB whereas the '97 ended in AA. If the part doesn't change or in other words fulfills the same duties of the original, the last two letters will signify what revision it is. I would guess that if everything else in the part number is the same with the exception of the last two letter, the difference is probably in the programs that are loaded in to the PCMs.

Somewhere on those ECUs there should be a program code #. It's usually 3 letters and a number, eg: FIG2, COW1 etc. That is the number that matters, it is the program that is on the ECU. If you can't find it, some of the people here have given Superchips the numbers they've found on their ECU and got the 4 digit code from them. Many times you find ECU's installed in different year vehicles.

Back