Ford ESP owner with rental coverage- loaners provided during service? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford ESP owner with rental coverage- loaners provided during service?

Thomas Reminga

Reaction score
City, State
Port Washington, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
Good morning all,
I have the factory Ford ESP warranty and opted for the highest level rental add on. My ‘17 Sport is due to oil change, etc- around 27,500 miles on it now. Coming from my previous Audi’s I would normally drop off the car, they would give me a loaner for the day. The last 2 services I had I opted for just a ride to and from work with the Sport. Would a request for a free loner be out of line, or possibly covered with my ESP warranty? I would just prefer to drop off the car and have the option to use a loaner for the day until I pick up the vehicle. Just wondering my options and what I should be expecting before scheduling my next service.

Thanks!
Tom

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good morning all,
I have the factory Ford ESP warranty and opted for the highest level rental add on. My ‘17 Sport is due to oil change, etc- around 27,500 miles on it now. Coming from my previous Audi’s I would normally drop off the car, they would give me a loaner for the day. The last 2 services I had I opted for just a ride to and from work with the Sport. Would a request for a free loner be out of line, or possibly covered with my ESP warranty? I would just prefer to drop off the car and have the option to use a loaner for the day until I pick up the vehicle. Just wondering my options and what I should be expecting before scheduling my next service.

Thanks!
Tom
You can ask them for a loaner, but the dealer is not obliged to give you one. A decent dealer will, but some are very uptight about it.
Ford will reimburse you for a rental car though (up to $x as it states on your ESP).

Ford will reimburse a rental car for a warranty repair. Maintenance is not covered under your ESP (oil changes, tire rotations, brake pads, wipers, belts/hoses etc).

Think of it this way, if you have to pay for a service (not talking about your deductible), then you do not get a rental.

Now things I do to work around that is schedule warranty work at the time of my maintenance. My F350 is in the shop now. I have 2 warranty repairs going and having them balance and rotate my tires.

Audi is not Ford.. Audi is more Lincoln and Lincoln provides free loaners for any service if you want to do an apples to apples comparison.

I never got free loaners for maintenance in my mbs. They would come get the vehicle and return it to me though if I asked. I did get loaners for all warranty though. I also got loaners for all Chevy warranty repairs. This is in my AO. Ford has always been pitiful when it comes to loaners. None of my local dealers will provide them for normal warranty repairs, even after 2 or 3 attempts at the same repair. YMMV. Never hurts to ask as some dealers treat high gross customers better than those that wheel/deal and don't make them much money. If you bought there and have all maintenance done there, they may consider your request.

Perfect! Thanks guys, very helpful. We’ll see how the dealer responds :)

Perfect! Thanks guys, very helpful. We’ll see how the dealer responds :)

Also, keep in mind that although you said highest rental coverage, there are a few options.

1st day rental - this gets you a rental car at time of drop off. Although included with a plan, most dealers do the "1st day rental delete" to present the plan cheaper (online dealers do this to try to advertise cheaper then everyone else).

Enhanced rental - this bumps your rental coverage from $30 a day to $60 per day for up to 10 days.

Both of these are separate from each other so make sure you know which you chose. I always do the 1st day AND enhanced rental.

Dropped my F350 off on Wednesday and drove away with this at no charge.

20190619_121429.jpg

I went through the local guy that sells them here... went with the enhanced rental, not sure if he deleted the 1st day or not

Also, keep in mind that although you said highest rental coverage, there are a few options.

1st day rental - this gets you a rental car at time of drop off. Although included with a plan, most dealers do the "1st day rental delete" to present the plan cheaper (online dealers do this to try to advertise cheaper then everyone else).

Enhanced rental - this bumps your rental coverage from $30 a day to $60 per day for up to 10 days.

Both of these are separate from each other so make sure you know which you chose. I always do the 1st day AND enhanced rental.

Dropped my F350 off on Wednesday and drove away with this at no charge.

View attachment 171335
How is that Expedition compared to your Explorer? I know it's apples to oranges, but still curious.

I went through the local guy that sells them here... went with the enhanced rental, not sure if he deleted the 1st day or not

If you got it from Joel, he does not delete it. The price he quotes is with 1st day.

How is that Expedition compared to your Explorer? I know it's apples to oranges, but still curious.

The expedition is an awesome vehicle. It pulls like a freight train and the 10speed is perfection IMO. I just went from NH to PA in it (on vacation) and I averaging 22mpg on the highway. About 19 mixed. Cant complain about that with 5 adults, 2 children and a vehicle full of luggage.

The expedition is an awesome vehicle. It pulls like a freight train and the 10speed is perfection IMO. I just went from NH to PA in it (on vacation) and I averaging 22mpg on the highway. About 19 mixed. Cant complain about that with 5 adults, 2 children and a vehicle full of luggage.
The 10 speed is fabulous. Had an F150 loaner a few months ago with it (and the V8), really nice.
I'm trying to convince my wife to get an Expedition, she's obsessed with an F150 at the moment.

The 10 speed is fabulous. Had an F150 loaner a few months ago with it (and the V8), really nice.
I'm trying to convince my wife to get an Expedition, she's obsessed with an F150 at the moment.

It is a fantastic ride.. quality, comfortable etc. I'd love one myself but very overpriced. My wife and I only have 2 kids and we are done so really it is overkill. But I absolutely love the 3.5 EcoBoost with 10speed combo.

I cant wait for our ST lol..

^ I'm not even an Explorer owner anymore, can't possibly afford an ST, and even I can't wait to see your new ride, lol!

It is a fantastic ride.. quality, comfortable etc. I'd love one myself but very overpriced. My wife and I only have 2 kids and we are done so really it is overkill. But I absolutely love the 3.5 EcoBoost with 10speed combo.

I cant wait for our ST lol..
Used is the way to go on them. I have my eye on a stealth package one in white at my local dealer that they just can't sell lol. The other Ford dealer has sold a couple around town and even a Navigator. Once 20MYs come out in force, that 19 is ours!

I can't imagine how nice the 10 speed must be. Our '17 Expedition with 6 speed got about 21 mpg going to Florida with 3 adults, 3 kids, loaded with luggage behind 3rd row and a loaded hitch carrier. It's a beast

Back