Ford Sync (not Sync 3) software update will not recognize USB drive | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Sync (not Sync 3) software update will not recognize USB drive

It took using a new 32gb USB3.0 drive. Going to run with v2.3 for a while before attempting the latest.
That is the latest for your Explorer.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is an update to the FordPass app, so now it does not crash when I connect it with SYNC Applink. But once successfully connected, again, it does not do anything.

On a Mac, you may need to MS-DOS Format the drive in terminal using command line using diskutil rather than the GUI Disk Utility App.
Tested on USB2 32GB thumb drive.

Open Terminal.app in /Applications/Utilities

Find the thumb drive in the diskutil list

diskutil list

Returned output should show a list of two or three or more "disk volumes"
dev/disk0 and dev/disk1 are likely your mounted volume drive and recovery drive

You need one that is "External, Physical"
/dev/disk3 (external, physical):
and should have a Column for the "Name" which might be "UNFORMATTED" or "BLANK" or "UNTITLED" whatever the inserted thumb drive is called in Finder

Then run the command to partition the disk (make sure you know which disk, cause you can screw up another drive pretty easily here.)

diskutil partitionDisk /dev/disk3 MBR ExFAT BLANK 100%

***This says partition Disk 3 with MBR (Master Boot Record for DOS) with an ExFAT Volume called BLANK at 100% of the space available***

Next. Unzip command directly to the new Drive volume.

replace the "File-From-Ford" with whatever you downloaded and "BLANK" with whatever you named your drive above

unzip ~/Downloads/FILE-From-Ford.zip -d /Volumes/BLANK/

The returned output may take a while for each file to transfer NOTE THE Warning line, because it was zipped by a Windows developer.

Archive: /Users/yourname/Downloads/FILE-From-Ford.zip
extracting: /Volumes/BLANK/DONTINDX.MSA
warning: /Users/yourname/Downloads/FILE-From-Ford.zip appears to use backslashes as path separators
inflating: /Volumes/BLANK/SyncMyRide/FILE-From-Ford-THA.tar.gz
inflating: /Volumes/BLANK/SyncMyRide/FILE-From-Ford-TBB.tar.gz
inflating: /Volumes/BLANK/SyncMyRide/FILE-From-Ford-SC.tar.gz
inflating: /Volumes/BLANK/SyncMyRide/FILE-From-Ford-BD.tar.gz
inflating: /Volumes/BLANK/SyncMyRide/FILE-From-Ford-AL.tar.gz
inflating: /Volumes/BLANK/SyncMyRide/FILE-From-Ford-BA.tar.gz
inflating: /Volumes/BLANK/SyncMyRide/FILE-From-Ford-AA.tar.gz
inflating: /Volumes/BLANK/autoinstall.lst

you should have two files and a folder called SyncMyRide
inside the SyncMyRide Directory it has all the installs.

NOTE: If you unzip by double clicking the zip, the Archive Utility doesn't make the SyncMyRide Folder. Make it and drag in the files ending with .gz

when you see a prompt ending in $ again, it is done and you can eject the drive and go upgrade
It took mine going from ver 1 to ver 3 a little over 30 minute and it rebooted once in the process, after the reboot it continued to install more files.

When I go to SYNC Software Update History on owner.ford.com now the update history showing the 5.11 update I did is gone now. Only the original listing of 5.10 that it came with is there. The 5.11 was there for a long time..... don't know when it disappeared.

Never heard if either 5.10 or 5.11. Looking back at your first post, I thought all 2017 Explorers had Sync 3. Are you saying you still have MFT (Sync 2)? The latest version for that I believe is 3.10.

Peter

Never heard if either 5.10 or 5.11. Looking back at your first post, I thought all 2017 Explorers had Sync 3. Are you saying you still have MFT (Sync 2)? The latest version for that I believe is 3.10.

Peter

All 17+ Explorers in XLT trim and above should have Sync 3.

Base models only got Sync (4.1" screen).

I absolutely have a 17 XLT with the small screen Sync

:dunno:

But back to my original question, regardless of which version Sync I or anyone else has, has anyone "lost" history entries of their updates in their "SYNC Software Update History".

I absolutely have a 17 XLT with the small screen Sync

Sorry, I think it might've been that those are the only 2 options, with sync 3 being the upgrade. Unlike in previous MYs, where MFT was the upgrade.

My SYNC Software Update History on owner.ford.com is back to being correct again. It shows the version 5.10 (that vehicle was delivered with) and the version 5.11 that I installed. I guess it was temporary.

Well I just logged in to my SYNC Software Update History on owner.ford.com and the site has changed again. My history is gone again, or any specific information about my 17 Explorer. Just some generic information and reference to SYNC 3 which I do not have.
And I get same result for my 2005 F250 and 2015 PI both of which have no SYNC at all !

I know this reply is late, but in case someone else finds this thread from google. I came across this same issue with my USB stick not being recognized for updating Sync 3. After much testing with various formats, etc I found the actual issue is the stick's partition table was GPT (guid partition table). I deleted all of the partitions and converted the stick to use MBR (Master Boot Record) partition tables, after this Sync 3 is recognizing both Fat32 and ExFat partitions on the drive without issue. I thought maybe this would help others.

^^ Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

Well only one update offered since purchased in March 2017. I thought there would be more updates and improvements.

I'm quite sure that I did an update on my 2017 before the latest one a month ago or so. Is your latest build 19205?

Peter

Is there actually anything making the Sync update worth the hassle? I use Android Auto via my phone {basically only WAZE), and I have my ipod touch connected, other than that I don't use any of the features. I ask because aftet following 3 different sets of instructions and 2 different USB drives I've reached the F it point. BTW 17 Platinum with version 3.0

My only thought is that though I don't know for sure if it applies here, but some electronic equipment you have to step through the firmware updates one by one, you cannot jump say, three firmware updates at once. And if one comes out you finally need one you might have a hard time if you have missed some updates and now cannot download them. Just speculation.

But then again since there has only been one since I bought my '17 I don't think there is much chance that there will be many updates.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back