Ford thought this was a good idea? wiper linkage | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford thought this was a good idea? wiper linkage

Jason94sport

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 EB V8
In the latest storm my passenger wiper stopped working & just the drivers side worked. I took it apart today.
What a dumb design. The passenger side linkage is held with nothing but a press fit nub with a bushing. As seen in the pic, there's nothing to prevent the linkage from again falling off. I was able to push it back into the hole all the way with some force. I ran it on high & it's ok for now.

1-IMG_2135 - Copy.JPG 1-IMG_2136 - Copy.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just went ahead and replaced the little plastic bushing ;)

I suspect it's meant to have sacrificial links that come apart, instead of tearing the whole thing up if it gets in a bind, like from ice, mud, or a big deer on your windshield. ;)

So where do I get a replacement bushing?

Think the auto parts stores might carry Dorman 49456 bushings.
EDIT: I'm leaving the link but I don't remember with 100% certainty if this is the right Dorman part #, would check Dorman's site for compatibility first:

Ironically Advance Auto Parts is selling it with free shipping for $2 less as a 3rd party on Walmart's site, than they do on their own site without free shipping.

Walmart listing:

LOL OK
I didn't spend any time looking for a solution cause I got it working. I wasn't thinking to fix Fords piss poor design in the middle of a hurricane. Ordered on amazon.
Thanks

Finally got around to this. Secondary vehicle so not too important on my list. OMG what a PITA!
The bushing was so stuck on it took a while to get it off. Wound up using a razor blade to cut it into pieces. There's little room to work & needed a step stool & me laying on my hood to get to it. The new bushing, would not go on. REALLY tight fit. Used a heat gun to heat the plastic & then it gave enough to pop it on. In hindsight, use the heat gun to get the busing off! That would have made this WAY easier.
Putting the linkage back on to the point it's locked into place was another chore. I got it on by hand only to a degree. Had to use vise grips to compress the linkage into the bushing.
Still amazes me that the simple things on Explorers give me the most trouble.

@Jason94sport The bushing did last the first 300,000 miles. My old '94 the wiper motor started acting up around 260k.

I just went ahead and replaced the little plastic bushing ;)
Where Did you get the plastic bushing? On another ford vehicle I had too replace the hole arm ( bushing included)

Back