Found a strange cause for the P0403, P0443 codes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Found a strange cause for the P0403, P0443 codes

Scouser102

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Explorer XLT 4X4
i decided to join and post what I found when diagnosing a P0403, P0443 error.
2010 Explorer XLT 4X4
When these codes first showed up I could reset and they would go away for maybe a day. But this interval slowly got shorter until they were immediate. So I ordered an EGR online and changed it. No difference.
I ordered a Bluetooth OBD unit that was ELM compliant. Having 3 fords it can always be useful and I downloaded ForScan on my laptop.

Ran an engine running self test and there were the codes plus the O2 heater malfunction codes.
I ran an ohm test on the wiring and it all looked just fine.

Took it to the dealer who said PCM is Bad.
So brought it home. Took the PCM out and mailed it off for repair. SIA Electronics in Illinois.
They called me and said no problem found. Mailed it back and charged $85 testing fee.
So I put it back in and no codes.
2,000 miles later the codes came back.

Hooked my laptop back up and watched the EGR, EVAP, MAP and Fuel Rail pressure.
As I moved the wires around the EGR I could see the EGR going into Fault and back to normal. So moving just the part of the wire at the EGR connector I could see the fault. Theory now, bad connector. So went to the salvage yard and got one.
After wiring it in I could no longer move the wires and see the fault appear and disappear but the codes where still there.

Dealer now telling me to replace the entire wiring harness. This just didn't add up so I played some more.

Moving a wire at the PCM I could now generate the fault. In fact I could generate 3 faults by moving the wires.

So the entire engine is clean. It was detailed by a local detail shop. All the surfaces were also slick. So I called and asked what they used. It was a Silicon based engine dressing.
Knowing Silicon is a semi conductor that insulates at low temp and can conduct at high temp and also knowing it can travel easily down wires it was time to clean.

After a full clean and using electrical contact cleaner. No change.
Moving wires still changes sensor outputs. Connectors are good, tight and no corrosion.

Thinking the worst and contemplating a wiring harness change I got a bowl of hot water and Dawn dish soap. I put the harness PCM side connector in the bowl and let it soak.
Scrubbed it with a brush, soaked and repeated for 10 minutes. Rinsed with clean destilled water and left it to dry for 4 hours.

NO MORE CODES, moving wires around and no effect. ITS GONE!!!!!!
2 months of this and fixed with Dawn Dish Soap and Hot Water.

Now to find a way to clean the Silicon off the rest of the engine so it doesn't come back.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That was a good catch and may be useful to others:chug:

i decided to join and post what I found when diagnosing a P0403, P0443 error.
2010 Explorer XLT 4X4
When these codes first showed up I could reset and they would go away for maybe a day. But this interval slowly got shorter until they were immediate. So I ordered an EGR online and changed it. No difference.
I ordered a Bluetooth OBD unit that was ELM compliant. Having 3 fords it can always be useful and I downloaded ForScan on my laptop.

Ran an engine running self test and there were the codes plus the O2 heater malfunction codes.
I ran an ohm test on the wiring and it all looked just fine.

Took it to the dealer who said PCM is Bad.
So brought it home. Took the PCM out and mailed it off for repair. SIA Electronics in Illinois.
They called me and said no problem found. Mailed it back and charged $85 testing fee.
So I put it back in and no codes.
2,000 miles later the codes came back.

Hooked my laptop back up and watched the EGR, EVAP, MAP and Fuel Rail pressure.
As I moved the wires around the EGR I could see the EGR going into Fault and back to normal. So moving just the part of the wire at the EGR connector I could see the fault. Theory now, bad connector. So went to the salvage yard and got one.
After wiring it in I could no longer move the wires and see the fault appear and disappear but the codes where still there.

Dealer now telling me to replace the entire wiring harness. This just didn't add up so I played some more.

Moving a wire at the PCM I could now generate the fault. In fact I could generate 3 faults by moving the wires.

So the entire engine is clean. It was detailed by a local detail shop. All the surfaces were also slick. So I called and asked what they used. It was a Silicon based engine dressing.
Knowing Silicon is a semi conductor that insulates at low temp and can conduct at high temp and also knowing it can travel easily down wires it was time to clean.

After a full clean and using electrical contact cleaner. No change.
Moving wires still changes sensor outputs. Connectors are good, tight and no corrosion.

Thinking the worst and contemplating a wiring harness change I got a bowl of hot water and Dawn dish soap. I put the harness PCM side connector in the bowl and let it soak.
Scrubbed it with a brush, soaked and repeated for 10 minutes. Rinsed with clean destilled water and left it to dry for 4 hours.

NO MORE CODES, moving wires around and no effect. ITS GONE!!!!!!
2 months of this and fixed with Dawn Dish Soap and Hot Water.

Now to find a way to clean the Silicon off the rest of the engine so it doesn't come back.

I just did the same to my 2010 ford explorer xlt 4.0 and now my engine light is off no codes after replacing the egr valve, purge vent valve, vent solenoid, all four o2 sensors, and cleaning the capless fuel filler neck. original codes p0402, 403 443 455 1141. thanks for this solution the part replacing and dealer costs where getting old.

This reminds me of my Explorer when I bought it. It was a year old on a Ford dealer lot. When you popped the hood you were presented with this sparkly clean shining engine. It didn't take long after I bought it for the dust to start accumulating in various thicknesses everywhere. I cleaned everything up best I could but always wondered if anything would pop up later knowing that shine had to come from some sort of silicone treatment. I agree with keeping your engine reasonably clean - but you can go too far.

What about just using an electronics cleaning spray on it? Wouldn't that have done the trick?

I just did the same to my 2010 ford explorer xlt 4.0 and now my engine light is off no codes after replacing the egr valve, purge vent valve, vent solenoid, all four o2 sensors, and cleaning the capless fuel filler neck. original codes p0402, 403 443 455 1141. thanks for this solution the part replacing and dealer costs where getting old.
I also have a 2010 Explorer 4.0 with the same codes. And yes, I bought it from a car dealer the cleaned the engine. My question is which one of the three connectors is the one. My guess is the top one. Am I right?

I have always hated that slimy crap car lots always spray all over the engine compartment!

Just an update, my 2010 explorer was throwing multiple codes including p0401,p0403 and a p0106. After the dealer replaced the egr valve and 5 pcm modules it ended up being a cracked vacuum hose under the intake manifold. Since he replaced the vacuum harness the truck has run fine with no codes.

Just an update, my 2010 explorer was throwing multiple codes including p0401,p0403 and a p0106. After the dealer replaced the egr valve and 5 pcm modules it ended up being a cracked vacuum hose under the intake manifold. Since he replaced the vacuum harness the truck has run fine with no codes.

"stored:" trouble codes: P0106 P0171
"pending" trouble codes: (same 2 stored trouble codes) plus P0113, P0118, P0403, P2104, P2111
Can you provide specifics on what the "vacuum harness" is?

Something like this?

Back