Free Oil Changes for life? Yep, I fell for it... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Free Oil Changes for life? Yep, I fell for it...

spr

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Expl XLT 4WD
Its funny because its not like I am some wet behind the ears kid.

When I was talking about the Explorer with the sales guy he dropped the '...and you get free Oil Changes for life...' thing on me, and I was thinking - hey - thats cool.

'All we ask is that tyou make an appointment'.

No problem Great.

============ (days go by)

Give them a check, sign papers get the keys, etc. I took it on a weekend and had to go back a 2nd time to get registration papers and get a sticker...

Sales Guy: blah blah blah... is everything good? blah blah blah... go over and get a sticker no problem. Remember come back soon for your free oil change...I believe there is a small charge for oil collection and taxes.. I think all together its like $10....

Shaking head. Laughing at myself. I didnt call him on it right then, but I will of course complain about the $10 'free' oil changes. Same as a million other people that fall for this ploy I suppose. Why cant these jerks just be effing straight once in their lives? So anoying.. and now I see it for what it is... a money making scheme so they get to constantly 'inspect' your vehicle for anything that needs fixing.

Sheesh

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its funny because its not like I am some wet behind the ears kid.

When I was talking about the Explorer with the sales guy he dropped the '...and you get free Oil Changes for life...' thing on me, and I was thinking - hey - thats cool.

'All we ask is that tyou make an appointment'.

No problem Great.

============ (days go by)

Give them a check, sign papers get the keys, etc. I took it on a weekend and had to go back a 2nd time to get registration papers and get a sticker...

Sales Guy: blah blah blah... is everything good? blah blah blah... go over and get a sticker no problem. Remember come back soon for your free oil change...I believe there is a small charge for oil collection and taxes.. I think its like $10....

Shaking head. Laughing at myself. I didnt call him on it right then, but I will of course complain about the $10 'free' oil changes. Same as a million other people that fall for this ploy I suppose. Why cant these jerks just be effing straight once in their lives? So anoying.. and now I see it for what it is... a money making scheme so they get to constantly 'inspect' your vehicle for anything that needs fixing.

Sheesh
The Environmental Disposal Fee on my oil changes is $2.

Peter

yeah, I know. My point is - I dont care how they try and justify it - $10 bucks isnt free.

Blame the corporate culture of exploitation, not the salesman that got trained well. He's just trying to get by like you.

Back in 2007 fell for the "new tires for life" from a different vendor/dealership. When I finally needed them, the dealership had closed down. With them, my deal was gone...

I'm on my third set of "tires for life" (on my wife's odyssey); so some dealers uphold the promise.

But back on topic; I agree that "free" oil changes should be fully free, no BS charges. You should ask them for the used oil and you will dispose of for free at pep boys; that would frost them....

Also, has anyone tried to use a Ford $10 off for "the works" oil change? It's not $10 off at time of sale, you have to apply for a rebate on the website. IF it gets approved you get sent a check. There are people at Ford actually paid to come up with these rat mazes...

The Environmental Disposal Fee on my oil changes is $2.

Peter

My fee is $0. Walmart takes used oil, up to 5 gallons at time, for free.

My fee is $0. Walmart takes used oil, up to 5 gallons at time, for free.

Anybody who sells oil MUST accept old oil at no charge. We are charged the disposal fee when we buy the oil, not when we drop it off

I'm on my third set of "tires for life" (on my wife's odyssey); so some dealers uphold the promise.

But back on topic; I agree that "free" oil changes should be fully free, no BS charges. You should ask them for the used oil and you will dispose of for free at pep boys; that would frost them....

Also, has anyone tried to use a Ford $10 off for "the works" oil change? It's not $10 off at time of sale, you have to apply for a rebate on the website. IF it gets approved you get sent a check. There are people at Ford actually paid to come up with these rat mazes...
I had a $10 off 4 wheel alignment and they deducted it right there. I guess different discounts are handled differently.

Peter

Anybody who sells oil MUST accept old oil at no charge. We are charged the disposal fee when we buy the oil, not when we drop it off
That is probably a U.S. thing. Here we don't pay a disposal fee up front. That makes more sense to me. Why pay a disposal fee at time of purchase if you don't have any to dispose of. There are many instances where you just add oil and have nothing to throw out. I think that is a rip-off to ensure the government gets something for nothing.

Peter

That is probably a U.S. thing. Here we don't pay a disposal fee up front. That makes more sense to me. Why pay a disposal fee at time of purchase if you don't have any to dispose of. There are many instances where you just add oil and have nothing to throw out. I think that is a rip-off to ensure the government gets something for nothing.

Peter

I agree and in my instance, I never dispose of my oil. My brother in law has a waste oil burner to heat his 3 bay garage so he collects old oil and stores it in 55gallon drums till winter time.

I give him all my oil so I pay a fee yet never hits the environment. I think it is only $0.06 per quart if I recall.

Peter

Peter, don't you remember 2009 with the eco-fees that were brought in on almost all chemical products? We still have to pay it but many of them were rescinded due to the public outcry and the way it was implemented. We do still pay the disposal fee at oil change (it's a line item) but whether that's for the outgoing or incoming oil is beyond me (and really doesn't make much difference - still have to pay it). I admit I've bought my oil across in Port Huron lately so I don't see it anyway. Synthetic is SO cheap there it's great!

Back in 2007 fell for the "new tires for life" from a different vendor/dealership. When I finally needed them, the dealership had closed down. With them, my deal was gone...

Must have been San Francisco Ford. I was working for them when they closed.

Must be buried within the price of the oil then, because there has never been a fee on the receipt where ever I have bought from...

The set-up your brother-in-law has sounds nice!

Blame the corporate culture of exploitation, not the salesman that got trained well. He's just trying to get by like you.

Nah. Of course he is just doing a job, and I never make it personal - but people should be called out on any BS the feel entitled to dispense upon their fellow humans.

I know how to be both graceful and call bull$#it at the same time.

'a culture of exploitation' does not entitle anyone to a pass. If anything, it guarantees my pointed scrutiny and honest feedback.

Nah. Of course he is just doing a job, and I never make it personal - but people should be called out on any BS the feel entitled to dispense upon their fellow humans.

I know how to be both graceful and call bull$#it at the same time.

'a culture of exploitation' does not entitle anyone to a pass. If anything, it guarantees my pointed scrutiny and honest feedback.

People have a responsibility to ask questions and educate themselves as well.....There's a sucker born every minute!

Back