friction modifier | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

friction modifier

carpcrew

Reaction score
City, State
lincolnshire
Year, Model & Trim Level
hi does anyone know what friction modifier i should use on a rear diff , 1998 4ltr auto, also what amount of oil goes in rear diff, ive been told to use 70-40, would slick 50 do as friction mod, cheers rob

mines a 99 and manual says,rear axle 4x4 use ford hypoid oil to spec wsl m2c 912 a with oil additive est m2c 118a capacity 2.6ltrs

Hey check out this thread

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249587

Also the friction modifier is availabe from ford but not sure of the part no.

Checkout opie oils, i think they do the redline and amisol friction modifiers. Also think rich has negotiated a forum discount with them
Regards

friction modifier or new rear diff

ok thanks for info on oil, now ive had this wining noise since ive had car and i thought id discovered its location but today i jumped in the back boot area and told wife to drive car under load, the noise was coming from the rear axle area, it only comes on load not when i take foot off the throttle, bad news but good id tracked it down , but then jumped back into rear passenger seat and i put my ear to the floor behind drivers seat and the noise is the same there, i was hoping to change diff oil and put in modifier and hope noise would go before i forked out for a recon diff but now im back to square one, noise from axle and behind drivers seat! i did take rear prop off yesterday and noise was gone, i drove it just on front wheel drive, i checked prop while it was off and joints feel ok , no play etc but there is a rubber shocker like thing built into it and not knowing what it should feel like i dont know if its good or bad, i can push it in and out quite easy, but i cant see why that should cause wining noise, im totaly stumped and peeved by trying to find cure, i dont want to fork out on axle only to get noise back again, please help, cheers rob

Back