• Register Today It's free!

Front axle swap/lift??

fxracing7832

Reaction score
City, State
Manchester,MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
*92 & *96 XLT
Hey guys, i am kinda new to the forum but have researched alot and picked up on a bunch of helpful hints and suggestions. I have a 92 explorer 4wd with a 3" body lift on it and i have 33's running now. i know ranger and explorer parts are interchange able and was thinking about doing a front axle swap b/c my explorer has the sissor axle and i want to switch ot a solid axle and get a higher lift. what is the best way/best thing to go for a solid axle swap? any help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

EB Dana 44 or a Heep Dana 30 if you don't care about more strength.

Try the search bar at the top. There are a ton of threads about a solid axle swap. Type "SAS" and see what comes up. Lots of reading to do. This isn't a bolt in procedure. You've gotta know how to weld or know a welder.

Do lots of research and make sure you know the direction you want to go.

What kind of wheeling are you planning on with this truck? If you're not really into hardcore trails and such, a TTB lift from Skyjacker or Superlift will work just fine.

+1

That "scissor" axle you have is right up there strengthwise with many solid axles. It'll stand up to some 35" meats with just a few small upgrades. Stay away from the Superlift suspension kits though (Skyjacker is great however).

If you absolutely must have a straight beam axle, then like was said, you should start your research in some of the other sections here. A HP D44 would be the absolute minimum axle I'd recommend so you aren't taking a step backward in strength. For an appreciable step forward, a D60 (1-ton) axle out of an F-350 would be what you'd want to look for (along with a rear axle to match).

so if i stick with the "sissor" axle now...what the easiest/ cheapest wasy to get lift on the front?

I was thinking about doing a SOA for the rear and have to find some threads about how to do that procedure. Seems like thats the easierst way to get the rear lift im looking for. i just need to figure out a way to get the front up to the height of the rear.

Thanks for the replys so far! keep them coming!

so i did some more research on the SOA and i like FROADER's way he did his SOA with brackets.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224794&highlight=SOA

Im in the same boat with him, not the best welder and looks to be the easiest way to to the SOA is just bolt the brackets on instead of welding new perches. Just a thought??

Still stuck on the front though....

-Ryan

The Skyjacker suspension kits are pretty hard to beat for a moderate trail rig running up to 35" tires.

I would recommend their 6" kit, along with the SOA for the rear. Be sure to get the larger pt# FA600 drop pitman arm with the front kit though, since the FA400 one they normally give you is too short and won't fully correct your steering linkage geometry (I'm pretty sure you can substitute the longer arm and just pay the difference in price).

I'm not a fan of bolt-on SOAs... I'd look into taking the axle in somewhere to have another set of perches welded onto it if you don't have a big enough box to do it yourself.

Edit:
Might need to look under Ranger kits for the 6" one, IIRC they don't list it under Explorer for some reason.

Back