Front bumper and air dam: effect on gas mileage | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front bumper and air dam: effect on gas mileage

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
Front bumper and air dam: effect on gas mileage

Since I had the bumper off of my ’99 waiting to replace it ( http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143230&highlight=pig ), I decided to evaluate the effect of the bumper on gas mileage.

I had to visit a friend in Naples, FL, which is 100 miles from home. I made the run without the bumper and air dam.

The run was almost all Interstate highway ( I 75 ). The total trip was 206 miles at an average speed of 69.3 MPH ( GPS determined - Dead Link Removed ). The computer tune was an experimental economy tune that Doug ( http://www.bamachips.com/ ) and I are working on.

With this same tune I have previously yielded 34 MPG .

This test yielded 28.6 MPG.

The front bumper and Explorer Express ( http://www.explorerexpress.com/catalog/pages/airdam.html ) air dam defiantly beneficial in regards to gas mileage. Further, the truck does nor feels as stable without the bumper and air dam at highway speeds.

I hope to test without the air dam in the near future.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow, that is quite a difference. I guess it makes sense though.

Quite a difference. You do know, that if I drove 100 miles without a bumper, I would be pulled over by the state patrol so fast it would make your head spin.

If only it weren't really ugly.... The pictures on the site make it look awful in my opinion...

Do you use a bugshield on the hood?
Do you think that would effect any gas mileage issues?Just curious

Bills98Explorer said:
Do you use a bugshield on the hood?
Do you think that would effect any gas mileage issues?Just curious

No, I do not use a bug shield.

Yes, it affects mileage; to the negative side.

aldive said:
No, I do not use a bug shield.

Yes, it affects mileage; to the negative side.
Thanks I was thinkin of taken mine off it looks like poopoo cause I cannot get the bug gut stains off it.

Hey Al - i just picked up an '06 Impala SS - what would your recommendations be to bring the fuel efficiency outta her? (Besides take the foot off the pedal and drive longer distances at sustained speeds)

BuffaloXplorer said:
Hey Al - i just picked up an '06 Impala SS - what would your recommendations be to bring the fuel efficiency outta her? (Besides take the foot off the pedal and drive longer distances at sustained speeds)

Synthetic fluids all arounf for starters.

Good luck ....

aldive said:
Synthetic fluids all arounf for starters.

Good luck ....
Give her some breakin time before switching to syn IMO

i drove around with no bumper or hood or grill or left fender and got the same mileage as i did with all of that installed.....

i have pictures of my truck like that.....

you say with this same tune you have previously yielded 34... what is your average with it?

also, to be fair you should always include the temperatures and wind conditions in these posts rigth?

expo5.0 said:
you say with this same tune you have previously yielded 34... what is your average with it?

also, to be fair you should always include the temperatures and wind conditions in these posts rigth?

About 32 MPG is average with this tune.

Wind has been insignificant in all the tests posted. I shall add ambient temperature in all future reports.

cool

i'm working on bettering 24 mpg with my audi- but i can never get through a tank without racing around in tiptronic

Made a run to Tampa today and the mileage with the front back together was 31.7 MPG.

Back