front clunk/rattle...read many thread..no help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

front clunk/rattle...read many thread..no help

BryanB

Reaction score
City, State
Flint, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLS
Ok, I have the dreaded front end clunk/rattle going over bumps in the road...I've read lots of threads, but still no help.
'99 XLS, AAL in back, TT up front, 16x8 Weld Draglite XP w/ 255/70-16 Revos
Just this week I replaced Lower Ball Joints, (uppers were fine) Shocks with Rancho 5000s, Sway bar End links...entirely, not just bushings. (Addco bars F&R) From what I understand the 98+ do not have the torsion bar arm problem with the kevlar pads wearing out.
And I still get the clunking rattle.....AAAHHHH!!!! Any Ideas would be GREATLY appriciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, I have the dreaded front end clunk/rattle going over bumps in the road...I've read lots of threads, but still no help.
'99 XLS, AAL in back, TT up front, 16x8 Weld Draglite XP w/ 255/70-16 Revos
Just this week I replaced Lower Ball Joints, (uppers were fine) Shocks with Rancho 5000s, Sway bar End links...entirely, not just bushings. (Addco bars F&R) From what I understand the 98+ do not have the torsion bar arm problem with the kevlar pads wearing out.
And I still get the clunking rattle.....AAAHHHH!!!! Any Ideas would be GREATLY appriciated.

I'd check your uppers- mine look ok, pass the wiggle test with it in the suspension together, but I had the knuckle off the other day and my driver side upper has slack in it. I get a clunk when turning while going over bumps, bothers me a little, but will have to wait until it bothers me enough to change it out.

with independant you need to take um apart to check them.

you dont haev to take them apart to check them at the shop all we do is with the car in the air and the wheel off pry down on the upper arm and if there is any play replace them.

Thanks everyone! I FOUND THE PROBLEM! ....and the winner is.....sway bar bushings! I couldnt get enough leverage laying on my back to get any movement out of them...I took it to a shop than specilaized in front ends and they got it up on a rack. I watched as a guy rocked the bar and showed me a very small amount of play in the bushings.

Also... Thanks to Addco for getting me replacements so quickly!

Plus...has anyone has to replace a lower control arm. After getting the lower ball joints done, the left one moved freely up and down in the bore in the arm...grrr...It rides really well with new bushings everywhere though....lol

New Ky's,New noise

Thanks everyone! I FOUND THE PROBLEM! ....and the winner is.....sway bar bushings! I couldnt get enough leverage laying on my back to get any movement out of them...I took it to a shop than specilaized in front ends and they got it up on a rack. I watched as a guy rocked the bar and showed me a very small amount of play in the bushings.

Also... Thanks to Addco for getting me replacements so quickly!

Plus...has anyone has to replace a lower control arm. After getting the lower ball joints done, the left one moved freely up and down in the bore in the arm...grrr...It rides really well with new bushings everywhere though....lol
After replacing my hubs,I replaced all my shocks (except the extra sway shock on the rear,can't find a listing) front end alinement checked out OK,Now I have a crunch clunk kind of noise when I turn.I thought it felt like it was under my feet like where the torsion bar mount is.Sounds like I'll be looking at the bushings,the sway bar seems to be rather large on this '98 Mountaineer

the Monroe part number is SC2958 for your rear sway shock.. Its listed as a steering stabilizer because its equal resistance in and out like a steering stabilizer.

Thanks matt...now I have to find the noise in the front end.So far I've replaced both hubs,and the shaft universial joint,kind of a crunching plinging noise only heard when slowing down to a crawl.Any ideas?

i have that very same noise! i think its the front driveshaft
somehow i don't think mine is very happy where it is, and i think one day it might try and escape me!
anyway when its in park it should be pretty tight if your on a hill. i think it would take movement from an output shaft to make it move. but i dont know
i do have that same noise tho! it feels as if my control arms are twisting when i stop or like my frame is cracked.. its really not a nice feeling so i know where you are comming from

i have the sme noise! i think its the sway bar end links so im gunna go change them out cus there is no bushing whatsoever on the old ones?!

Back