How To: Replacing 2nd Gen Front Axle Housing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To: Replacing 2nd Gen Front Axle Housing

gavin

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage, Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Explorer XLT AWD 5.0L
For anybody that didn't read my thread, here is why I'm replacing my front axle housing:
P1000491-marked.jpg

The circled area, is a chunk of the housing that is busted; how? I don't know yet. But there is apparently debris in there, and with the case busted, the only option was to replace it.
Luckily, I found a front off a 2005 Ranger, that had 4.10's; Exact same housing, and upgraded gearing... woohoo!

Now, on to the process.
I started last night, by removing the half-shafts. I removed the axle-shaft nut, tires obviously, tied the caliper out of the way, and removed the knuckle to upper control arm, removed half-shaft, then remounted the knuckle to the upper CA. Why? I didn't feel like fighting with stuff around jackstands. Plus, it's more stable that way :) In the end, it was a damn good idea too.

Here's my new axle housing, with cover removed, so that I could inspect the innards. Everything looked fine and dandy; and with only 30k miles on it, shoot, that's 130k less than mine.
P1000495.jpg

Cover cleaned up and a bead of silicone:
P1000496.jpg

Cover bolted back on. Remember, just like when puttin tires on, tighten bolts in a star-pattern to help it set evenly and prevent any issues.
P1000497.jpg

Here, you can see the rear-most housing-to-frame mount. It's on a torque-arm (I think that's what it's called?) and just above the rear-most lower control-arm mount. All housing-to-frame bolts have a 1/2" head.
P1000498.jpg

Here you can see the passenger side mount. There is a nut on the opposite side, but they have a "hook" on them; you do NOT need a wrench on it to remove it.
P1000499.jpg

Here's the driver's side; albeit hard to see. A real SOB to remove, only because there is barely any room to get your arm up there. Luckily, I'm a pretty scrawny guy so it wasn't TOO bad, but still a pain.
P1000500.jpg

None of the bolts were very tight; it was easy for me to remove them with a standard 3/8" ratchet.

Naked!
P1000501.jpg

Fitting the "new" housing in; the hardest part was just getting one of the mounts lined up to get a bolt through; not a whole lot of room to move, and a real PITA to do alone. Luckily, I had my dad's motorcycle jack to use. All I really needed was to lift the pumpkin up about 6 inches, and I was able to get the pass. side in first. Then I was able to hold the pumpkin up high enough to get the bolt into the dri. side, and then the torque-arm bolt.
P1000502.jpg

One thing I screwed up on; I forgot to put the breather tube back on. Crap! That is a ROYAL PITA to get on. I still haven't gotten it back on, yet. I can barely get my hand far enough, and the hose to touch the breather, but not enough room to put enough pressure on the hose to get it on. I think if I get my heat-gun and heat up the rubber a bit, I should be able to. I will try and do that later, but right now I'm cleaning up my 4.10 rear axle :)

I hope this helps anybody out who may end up needing to replace the housing. It was a VERY easy job, really. I spent maybe 1.5-2 hours removing old housing and installing new, and that was doing it by myself. This time does not count the time spent cleaning the housing.

oh for sure. I'm tryin to clean up my rear axle first, get it primed and painted this weekend. Then tear my old front apart. Next weekend I will be replacing my rear axle. What's another week without a front d-shaft on an AWD? lol. It's already been a couple months, and a few thousand miles prolly.

Back