Front diff yoke seal leaking!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front diff yoke seal leaking!!!

Sherwood

Eric's LIL' Bigfoot
Reaction score
Anybody ever changed the front diff yoke seal? I went to put my new driveshaft on and noticed that the seal is leaking along with the diff cover. I tried to look it up on my Haynes manual but it doesnt show. Could someone let me know how to do it? It cant be that hard. Thanks

Mark the position of the driveshaft and disconnect it. Pull out the yoke and install the new seal. I've done it on both of my Explorers I've owned.

Note: sometimes a new seal will leak also. It's a luck of the draw type thing. You just have to be really careful.

so there is just that one nut holding the yoke on? Does the yoke just pull out or do you have to use a slide hammer? Thanks, Eric

I am also going to be changing my yoke out since it has beat itself up on the lower subframe (from the diff bracket bending). I have the new one from Ford already, but since mine is not leaking, will I need a new seal, or can the old one be reused if I am careful? Also, how do you pull the yoke off without damging it, and does anyone know torque specs? I just want to be careful not to damage the R&P or anything else. Do you take it off with the wheels on the ground?

--Sean

Back