• Register Today It's free!

Front driveline noise

mustang3024

Reaction score
City, State
Brownfield, ME
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer XLS
Hi All, I have searched thru the forum for issues pertaining to driveline noise and have come across lots of different scenarios. I don't mean to beat a dead horse with this one but this issue is driving me nuts. :confused: The issue I am having is some driveline noise that is coming from the front end. The noise starts at about 20 mph and quites down after 35 mph. Then it returns over 60 mph and goes away over 75 mph. It like a woop woop sound. I've replaced the front hub assembly about a year and a half ago due to a rubbing noise that was different from this one. I suppose it still could be the issue. I have also just recently replaced the rotors and noticed that the backing plate was rubbing on the right front. This seemed to reduce the noise some but didn't fix it. I have tried rotating the tires and that doesn't seem to help. I checked for cupping of the tires and they appear to be mint. I also jacked up the vehicle on stands and ran it and I don't hear the noise. Hummm. Could it be the tires after all? I suppose it could be the loading of the hubs when driving. Any ideas or something I may have overlooked? Thanks :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

theres a possibility that its the cv joint on the front d-shaft, or the cv shafts themselves. try pulling the front driveshaft and take a trip around the block and see if that solves it.

Thanks for the reply, I will give that a try since I have the transfer case out to replace the front drive shaft seal. I'll let you know how it works. :thumbsup:

Bad front output shaft bearing

Well, since tearing down the transfer case to replace the front seal, I found that the front output shaft bearing is bad. No wonder the seal is shot and leaking fluid. Hope this is the cause of the driveline noise I have been having. I'll post the results as soon as I get this back together. :D

I'll bet that's your noise.

It better but not gone...

I reassembled the whole thing and also replaced the rear ouput shaft seal for good measure. The vehicle is much quieter than before but the whoop noise is still there. I believe it is the tires since I can detect a little cupping on the inside of the tires. It is tolerable now that the bearing noise is gone. The issue I have now is that after driving it for a day I heard a little squeeking at slow speeds. It sounded like the noise was going with the rotation of the drive shaft. I jacked up the vehicle noticed that while turning the rear shaft, I could hear the seal making a squeeking noise as if it were dry. So I took off the rear shaft and pulled the seal. It looked like it has melted slightly on the contact surface and it was dry. I replaced the seal and lubed it liberally with some mercon. The hub seemed to go in nicely and there is no squeek as of yet. I bought a seal kit from TB Trans and all the seals seemed to be the same size that came with the kit. Are some supposed to be a different size? Did I not put enough lube on it originally? Any ideas as to why this new seal would go? :thumbsup:

I lube all my seals with grease. I want it to stay there a while.

Back