Front driver's side window regulator | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front driver's side window regulator

koda2000

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
x
I'm house/dog sitting for one of my daughters this week and next. One of the chores she had for me was to replace the window regulator in her '00 Mountaineer.

I've replaced a rear window regulator on my '01 ST so I figured a front couldn't be much different (and it wasn't). The hardest part was drilling out the 5 rivets that hold the window to the regulator (2) and the 3 rivets that hold the regulator to the door. It would be easy enough, but they always start to spin before you can drill the heads off completely. Anyway, once the old regulator was out I installed the new one with small bolts and nyloc nuts.

Another job done dirt cheap and I didn't even make myself bleed. When I was done and testing the window I noticed it did something that none of my other trucks do. When you hit the AUTO down, instead of going down all the way it goes down in 3 stages. This may be an issue with the AUTO DOWN relay, but I wish my other truck's driver's front windows worked this way. I really don't like the AUTO down feature (and yes I know that if you hold the button down you can have the window go down part way).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good info koda. Any idea how to mod an ST rear bed window to be variable? Not open, closed, or vent.
Three fixed positions doesn't make sense to me, I just find the 2 inch "vent" position kind of worthless.

http://www.mysporttrac.com/shared/m...itename=mysporttrac&LAST=4/24/2010_8:23:44_AM

I agree. From what I understand the rear window control module can be eliminated and then you just wire the motor up to a normal style UP/DOWN window switch. Then you can stop it where ever you like. Window motors just swap the power and ground to change direction. I suppose the little square chrome window switch that many 80's/90's vehicles used (Dorman/Help) would work and would be easy to mount.

Thanks for the info. I need to replace the motor/actuator on the front passenger side on my '98. I've just never gotten around to it. My rear passenger windows have never gone down all the way. They stop about 4" above full open. Always been that way. I figured it was a 'feature.'

Thanks for the info. I need to replace the motor/actuator on the front passenger side on my '98. I've just never gotten around to it. My rear passenger windows have never gone down all the way. They stop about 4" above full open. Always been that way. I figured it was a 'feature.'

It's not a feature as much as it is simple physics. They can't roll down any further because the rear fender well gets in the way.

Duane, If you'd like detailed instructions on how to replace the regulator, PM me.

PM sent. Thanks!

And I went out and looked at the passenger glass/door. Yep, the windows ain't going down any further!!

PM sent. Thanks!

And I went out and looked at the passenger glass/door. Yep, the windows ain't going down any further!!

I responded to your PM. Good luck!

Back