Nate1

All 4 wheels locked
Reaction score
City, State
Gainesville/Tampa, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 FZJ-80
Front end groan!

When I am taking bumps that articulate my IFS up slowly, my suspension creeks and groans, it almost feels like it is binding up... you can feel it in the steering wheel, and it sounds similar to something being under-lubricated. Could it be my CV joints just hitting 22 degrees and binding, or is there something I need to check/replace like balljoints?

Thanks.
-----Nate

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wecome to the front suspension noise club! :D j/k :p

I had the same problem. I greased my lower balljoints, and it's pretty much taken care of the problem. I notice a noise every now and then, but it's 85% better than before. It was loud before, and did it over almost any uneven pavement. If you still have the stock balljoints, they are not greasable. :rolleyes: So, you'll have to get a grease gun with an injection needle. Or, replace them with greaseable units from Moog. Good Luck!

Thank you... and whatever mod changed the subject, groad sounded a little risque!
I'm gonna see if I can get some Moog's today.

Grease gun with an injection needle... could you tell me more about this? I have stock parts on my 96 that I sure would like to grease.

Jason

You will need a standard grease gun to start. An injection needle just allows you to poke a hole in the boot, and squirt some grease in. You will need to seal the hole in the boot, a drop of RTV works pretty well.

A grease gun can range from $20-$35 depending on what kind you get. Injection needle is less than $5. Of course, you will need the proper grease for each application as well.

Back