Redeemed XLT.. But front end groan | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Redeemed XLT.. But front end groan

Nicholasv

Reaction score
City, State
Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT
So I went on a ski trip to mt, hood this past week with the 99 xlt v6 sohc. At first when I saw snow at lower elevations then normal I was a bit worried we would get stuck ( no chains, and stock size Open county a/t's). But the x came through and got us there and back no problem. Only a little slipping on the ice leaving the lodge.
Now I have planned to sell my current explorer and get a 02+ xlt, But now I really have fell in love with my xlt :D
Now I want to Do a shackle/tt lift and put some 31's on.
There are still some things that worry me though.

One small thing is the lights and interior fans were dimming/slowing when cruising through the parking lot( Obviously with the RPMs dipping). Now I do plan to get a Red top optima and a 200amp alt for it to power aux lights, better sound system, and a winch. So I'm sure a new alt with a smaller pulley and higher rated batt would fix that issue, But correct me if I'm wrong.

Next issue is big. When accelerating, only when the 4wd Locks in and the tires are turned all the way left/right, there is a terrible low groan. Sounds like metal rubbing on metal. It does sound like it goes with the wheels turning. (i.e the wheel rolls over and the groan comes again.) I have tried to recreate the sound to see where it comes from. But you know how that goes.. only happens when I'm actually driving it not looking for the sound. :mad:
But It worries me a bit :(
I have searched the threads only to find groans at deceleration and b2000/rangers with 2 piece drive shafts making probs.

These two things I want to fix before modding the x.

Back