Front End Oscillating Noise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front End Oscillating Noise

69Boss429

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer XLT V6
I have an 05 Explorer XLT 4.0. It has an oscillating noise coming from the front end and the oscillating noise starts at 5 mph. It almost sounds like tire noise, but isn't. Like a "wha, wha, wha" sound. The oscillating sounds quickens when the speed increases and at highway speed it is just constant. The tire shop couldn't figure out what it was. They put it up on a rack and said both front and rear bearing were tight and not making any noise.

The following has been replaced on the front: both hub assemblies, both CV axles, both upper control arms w/ ball joints, both lower ball joints, both tie rod ends, both sway bar end links, brake pads and rotors and new set of tires with an alignment.

The front drivers hub assembly failed and while replacing this, all the other items were changed as well. This noise was not present prior to the hub assembly failing.

Any help would be appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Load test was also done, swerve left to right while driving down the road. There is no change in noise. Also, no change in noise when braking. Dust shields are not rubbing on rotors either.

Hi 69Boss429,
I have a 05 EB and experiencing the same issue as yours. After changing both front wheel bearing hub assemblies. The front howling noise was still there so I brought it in to a local shop, had them lift it up with someone inside on the drivers side with the explorer in 4W HI and in drive. We were able to determine the noise was clearly coming from a bad u-joint on the axel end of the front drive shaft. I'm going to change it out this week and will post the outcome. Its an inexpensive an easy fix if you do it yourself.

Update.. I changed out the u-joint on front drive shaft axcel side on my 2005 explorer EB and noise and vibration no longer exsist! I didn't even have to lower the whole shaft. Just removed the 4 strap bolts and lowered the front part of shaft and used a ball joint press to remove and install the u-joint. It took about 45 minutes to do the job.

Good to hear you got the u-joint fixed. I ended up taking the Explorer back to the shop yesterday because a tire went flat. Talked with them about the noise so they test drove it and couldn't determine if it was a wheel bearing as there was no change in the sound when the load test was done. When they got it up on the lift they checked for play and spun the tires. Apparently the right front wheel bearing is the culprit. Grinding noise when it rotates and very minimal play when rocked at the 12 and 6 position. I did not verify this myself, but will when I put it up on jack stands this weekend.

I had them look at this a couple weeks ago and they said everything checked out ok. At that time they had three guys looking at it at the shop as it baffled them where the sound was emanating from. They took it on two test drives and two different guys drove it. When they put it up on the lift that time, there was no play or grinding noise in any of the wheel bearings.

If the wheel hub assembly is the source, at least I'm not out of pocket anymore money as the hub is under warranty. Could think of a better way to spend an hour or so on the weekend than wrenching on this thing.

Swapped out the wheel bearing hub assembly and the oscillating noise issue has been resolved. Installed a Moog brand this time instead of going with the Chinese crap parts store house brand.

Back