Front End Sway?

cbexplore

Reaction score
City, State
saint Louis Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLT V6 4x4
Hello All,
I have recently noticed the front end of my 2004 Explorer has a weird sway in it.
The chasis has 189,000 on it but it has a new motor, trans, upper ball joints, and the front wheel bearings were replaced two or three yrs ago.
I havent changed the tie rods, struts or shocks though.

It actually drives pretty well until I hit a very straight long long stretch on
my way to work...then it kind of...just drifts a touch....not real noticeable...
feels almost like loose lugs nuts or something and doesnt do it in curves or any where else that is real noticeable.....
I looked underneath as I changed the oil the other day...didnt see anything
IN MY FACE wrong but plan to jack it up this weekend and give everything a good shake and see if anythings loose...
just wondering if anyone had any ideas on it...is there a way to check struts?
Thanks for any help...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When it drifts, does it feel like you've been hit by a sudden gust of wind? Like it pulls for a couple of seconds, then goes back to normal?

A buddy of mine had the same issue on his '04, and he claimed replacing the CV joints fixed it.

I have just developed the same issue at about 166K, but I haven't replaced anything yet.

Yeah thats kind of what it feels like...
Any way to check the cv joints before ripping them out?

Hello All,
I have recently noticed the front end of my 2004 Explorer has a weird sway in it.
The chasis has 189,000 on it but it has a new motor, trans, upper ball joints, and the front wheel bearings were replaced two or three yrs ago.
I havent changed the tie rods, struts or shocks though.

It actually drives pretty well until I hit a very straight long long stretch on
my way to work...then it kind of...just drifts a touch....not real noticeable...
feels almost like loose lugs nuts or something and doesnt do it in curves or any where else that is real noticeable.....
I looked underneath as I changed the oil the other day...didnt see anything
IN MY FACE wrong but plan to jack it up this weekend and give everything a good shake and see if anythings loose...
just wondering if anyone had any ideas on it...is there a way to check struts?
Thanks for any help...

I have that a bit on my 04. I am currently changing the rear drivers side wheel bearing it had a lot of slop in it when I jacked it up and pushed and pulled the wheel while still attached to the lugs. I'm hoping that fixes my sway. It felt like a low tire but they all had good pressure. Check your rear for this it might be your trouble.

Yes its definitely feeling sloppier everyday.
I have been out of town so hopefully I can check it tomorrow

OK so determined rear drivers side wheel bearing is toast..
Thanks Joscibo!

OK so determined rear drivers side wheel bearing is toast..
Thanks Joscibo!

Have fun I'm still working on mine right now as we speak. Mine hasn't been put out on the road as a daily driver so I'm working on it in spare time. Ounce I sell my fixer F150 this will slide in as my driver. There is a sticky in here for rear wheel bearing fixes it is a big help. Getting the strut rods off is the biggest task. If you press the hub and bearing off yourself remember the hub pushes out first in one direction then flip the knuckle over to press the bearing out. Be sure to keep it level so you don't bend the flipping knuckle like I did! My project has taken more time than it should have!

yeah I leave bearing pressing to the machinists!:D
I should have it back together today...

Well got it done but how can I know that upper rear ball jointed is seated correctly...kind of a weird setup with that bolt running through to hold it in?
Test driving to gas station and back but wanna make sure everything tight and done right before hitting the highway you know

Well got it done but how can I know that upper rear ball jointed is seated correctly...kind of a weird setup with that bolt running through to hold it in?
Test driving to gas station and back but wanna make sure everything tight and done right before hitting the highway you know

The ball joint end that slides into the knuckle has a indent that the bolt slide through holding it in. The ball joint can't come out with the bolt slid into the side of that shaft.

Yeah but how can I tell I got it in far enough for the bolt to be in that slot?
I used a rubber hammer and pounded pretty good....it looks like its set in...
bolt slide in and drive seemed like everything is good. haha

Thanks for all the help!! It drove nice to work today!

Back