Drewmcg

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ann Arbor, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 XLT 4WD
2002 XLS 2WD
My 2010 Explorer 4wd sounds like it needs a new driver's side hub/bearing. The front axle seal on that side has been leaking for a while, so I want to tackle that problem, too.

The YouTube videos, etc., have you removing the knuckle in order to pull the CV shaft to replace the axle seal. Question: Since I'll be removing the hub (which does not require removing the knuckle), can I pull the CV shaft out through the hole where the new hub bolts in, without removing the knuckle? Or is that hole too small to pull the CV/axle through?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Excellent question, but I don’t think the mounting hole where the new hub bearing would go in the knuckle is big enough to pass the actual CV joints through. However, while the hub bearing is out of the knuckle, you will have a bit of extra room that may just be enough to work the inboard and of the axle shaft out of the front differential. Perhaps it will just be enough, please report back with your findings. My driver side front axle seal has been seeping for at least five years, But only once was I able to add even an ounce or two of fluid.

One one of my cars, maybe it was Ex after your remove the tie rod from the knuckle, you can swing it enough to pull the CV shaft. The stabilize link may be in the way too.

Hey that’s a good idea also, and there’s a good chance the stabilizer link is broken and you can replace that while you have it unbolted

Reporting back: No go. The hub mounting hole is definitely way too small to pass the CV end through. And even with the tie rod end removed (not hard; beat on the stud with the nut threaded onto the end) and the stabilizer link off, could not (quite) get the shaft to clear. Have to remove the lower ball joint, which is a PIA. O'Reilly's didn't have a suitable tool; I'll try the Advance Auto tool today, and hope not to tear the lower ball joint boot (which the helpful counter guy warned I would likely do).

I want to use this 4WD Explorer--potentially--to launch a boat next summer. I was not worried about the drippage/gradual loss of gear oil from the seal so much as I'm worried about water getting INTO the front differential and doing damage . . . .

BTW, getting the old front hub/bearing off of the drivers side was surprisingly easy following FordTechMakuloco's video:

This is the tool you want. I used to to remove all 3 joints on my front knuckle when I did my second front hub and axle.
3/4 in. Ball Joint Separator

Thanks much, dacaur2. That's very similar to the Advance Auto loaner tool, which just fit and did the job nicely.

Easy to get front half shaft/axle off after removing the knuckle. Not as easy to remove/and especially re-install the axle seal. A combination of a PVC fitting, tailpipe connector, and long cheater bar got the new one in, with no leaks seen so far. I sucked out the old front diff fluid using the Makuloko (sp) YouTube approach (using cheap brake bleeder suction tool). Getting the new gear oil in there was a holy mess, though!

Here's the tool AutoZone lent me (for free):
KDT3916.jpg

Back