• Register Today It's free!

Front oil seal

4D X

Reaction score
City, State
Mn
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996-97 explorer
When I pulled the HB from the crankshaft the seal that was behind it had to be pulled out with a seal puller it was the same width as the bore. The two seals I have purchased to replace it are all way to small to be pressed in per instructions.

I could just drop it behind the cover. They are more the size of the seal that you can see in the back of the motor in the block. Jack shaft seal I think that is. Are they giving me the wrong part?
Also I don't think these vendors even know what its called exactly. I have seen it called front engine seal. Front oil seal, engine cover seal, front crankshaft seal. Whats up with that? There is no mistaking the rear seal cause its the biggest seal on the motor.

Maybe someone can give me the actual dimensions of a known good part. I thru the old one away. Bad move.

Ok. so the last seal I recieved was indeed the right one. It is a thicker seal with ribs on the radius. Just enough difference for a fit. I'm sure that other seal goes to something else and they just ordered wrong. I'm guessing the balance or jack shaft. Another tragedy averted.

Back