Front Reciever Hitch or Tow Hooks? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front Reciever Hitch or Tow Hooks?

JamminG4Jim

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Near St. Paul, MN.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport
I'd like to hear what you all think. I want to install either a set of tow hooks or a front mounted reciever hitch. Eventually i'll be getting a custom front bumper and i'm not sure if the front reciever would end up being in the way????

Front tow hooks would require drilling the frame. I'm not a real fan of this idea. Does drilling 1/2" holes for tow hooks weaken the structual integrety of the frame?

Please let me know what you think!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Perry is looking into the idea of a front receiver hitch so he could use a winch front and rear. We have tow hooks now and he is afraid they will drag. Moab will be a good test.

if you are going to get a new custom bumper then i think that a tow hook would be your best bet, they are very cheap and work just as well as a receiver hitch to get you unstuck. the only advantage to the hitch is that you could use if for a multimount winch, but here again if you get a custom front bumper youll probably have provisions for a winch on there, so buying the hitch would just be a waste of money. id go for the tow hooks.
-jonathan

also a winch in a custom bumper can sidepull....you CANNOT sidepull a multimount on a hitch as the leverage will cause something to break(i heard this from tdavis last week @ los coyotes)

tow hooks

I have a 94' and want to put 2 tow hooks on the front . My problem is where to put them . I was going to mount them where the bumper and frame meet but there seems to be a bunch of triangular holes . Is that a crumple zone ? Do I have to weld plates in there to keep the hooks from ripping my frame apart ? I plan on having a custom winch bumper made anyway and was wondering about reinforcing the frame for that . Looking for help before I need a new front end .

:)

THose triangular shaped holes will accept a boxed-end wrench for tightening the bolts on the tow hooks!!!

Position the hook so the triangles straddle the two bolts!! Did it on my 94 X 2 weeks ago...Pull the front bumper first. WAAYYY easier with it out of the way!

Back