Front Speaker Depth | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front Speaker Depth

chief523

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer EB
Hello,

I just purchased some 6x8 speakers today at Best Buy. When I got home I decided to look at some more information on Crutchfield and it said that they would not fit in the front door. Anybody know why this would be? The only think I could think of would be the speaker depth. It's the Kicker KS68 model so it has a depth of 2-3/8.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My front speakers are deeper and they fit my 2nd Gen just fine. Just takes a few minutes to get the door panel off to see, but I don't see why you'd have problems.

Thanks. I didn't figure there would be any problems.

Hey Chief, based on my info you have plenty to depth but the tweeter on the Kicker KS68 sits up too tall, they are .631 inches tall. The height on grill door panel is only .5 inches in the front door and .75 inches in the rear of a 2000 Explorer. So with a little bit of modification you will be able to fit the Kickers in the front, they will fit fine in the back.

What if you have the Ford/JBL stereo, I thought that the front speakers where a mid bass driver, and a tweeter, which means you would not have a hole for a 6x8?

What if you have the Ford/JBL stereo, I thought that the front speakers where a mid bass driver, and a tweeter, which means you would not have a hole for a 6x8?

Two of my friends have the separate midbass/tweeter com is in the front doors of their Gen 2's and 6x8's fit fine. My Gen 3 has those same front speakers and will get 6x8's that I'm told will fit. I just assumed the mounting holes and speaker hole in the doors were all the same.

Back