Front tow hook mounting on a 96

inh

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Springfield(ish), MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLS
My 96 eddie bauer doesnt look like it wants me to mount tow hooks. the frame is completely boxed in.. preventing me from drilling holes and mounting them that way. Also, unless i use like.. 2 inches of spacers, they will be tucked up behind the bumper... any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Unbolt the bumper...there are holes in the frame horns which you can fit nuts in.

even then the hooks will be behind the bumper, in which case if i get pulled out it wil teak the bumper

Weird, my frame comes right up to the top edge of the hole in the bumper. Won't tweak it if I pull.

Yea its really wierd. I may have to fab up some bolt on mounts. I'll try and take pics of it tomorrow

I remember seeing someone using washers until the hook was far enough under the bumper so it won't tweak anything. Is that safe?

Doing it that way puts a lot more lateral force on the frame, but I remember that thread and I don't think he had any problems with it.

I think that same thread also indicated he was using tow hooks from a Silverado. I'm not sure if they're dimensionally different from what is being discussed here.

my hooks are just the car quest 10,000lb ones.. I would have to use about 2 inches or more of washers to get them mounted good.. not ideal

If I remember, that truck had a 2" or 3" BL which would align the opening in the bumper with the bottom of the frame rails. All those washers would not be good.

Ah maybe the body lift is what makes em line up right.. Ah well, maybe i'll just fab some 1/4 inch steel brackets the will bolt to the frame, and extende the tow hook down and foreward.

this is wierd...mine are bolted right to the frame, and they line up with the oval mouth in the bumper, i dont understand how yours doesnt...

slravene said:
this is wierd...mine are bolted right to the frame, and they line up with the oval mouth in the bumper, i dont understand how yours doesnt...

Mine does too.....maybe its a 95 thing? I'm not sure.

hartman, do you rub at all with the 32s? you only have tt/shackles right? did you trim at all?

Back